E4OD in limp mode - will driving it cause damage ?

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I noticed a hard 1-2 shift and a flashing OD light . I will check codes and and do voltage test on the FIPL in the few days . My question here is that I really don't mind the harder shifting but wonder if it is harming the transmission diving it ( ie do I need to park it and take care of the repair immediately ?) . - Tahnsk

(1994 F250 7.3 NA E4OD )

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
From what I've heard, you don't want to be driving it in limp mode...it'll damage stuff. I think if you disconnect your batteries it might reset the computer temporarily and buy you some time...I can't remember if that's actually true though...the computer might reset every time you shut off.

~Jeff

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I drove my 93 for about a week in limp home mode. Had to until the weekend to fix it. Can't really say if it did any damage but there were not catastrophic failures. I found that the best way to drive it was at the normal shift points try to be at full or near full throttle to reduce the "slamming effect" during the shifts.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Limp mode itself isn't so bad on the trans (but not good). What will really tear things up is the Torque Converter Clutch lock and unlock that can come with some failures such as Tach Sensor failure.

If you can drive something else I would advise you to do so. These transmissions are TOO expensive to take any chances with.

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try not to drive, T/C replacement can get expensive.