E4OD computer is dead

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
yeah i tried scanning the computer, and the sto light stays on and doesnt do anything. so today i bought another scanner to make sure, and it does the same thing. light stays on, no testing occurs. im thinking shes dead.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
id like to inspect mine out of the truck first....where is it located, none of my manuals tell me.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I was hoping you knew! I believe it's in the cab, on the drivers side, under the dash mounted on the leftside foot well area. Maybe?

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know on my 93 the trans computer is on the drivers side behind the parking brake lever or have to remove the bracket to pull te computer.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
ok, computer was there under the kick plate. comes out easy. going to ford tomorrow for a price on a new unit, and maybe buying it.

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you check ebay i got one last year for $25. i think ford is going to be pretty expensive,

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ford will lighten your loafers to the tune of around $600.00 for the upgraded cpu. Thats all they sell anymore is the upgraded units. Sometimes they have reman. units too but be careful buying one.... I'm not sure how the warranty is on either new or "fixed".

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just had mine replaced probably out of carquest my repair shop uses that automotive parts ordering supplier. You can get a computer from Autozone mine was priced about $300.00. When I checked may or not be a good brand cheap price. My truck 1990 F-350 CC SRW 7.3 IDI N/A 4.10 E4OD. I hope this helps. gsgIDI

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know on my 93 the trans computer is on the drivers side behind the parking brake lever or have to remove the bracket to pull te computer.

Hey DevilDog88
I appreciate the information as I did not have a clue where the computer was in my 1990 F-350 7.3L IDI was. My son is in boot camp at MCRD San Diego, it is tough on all of us him being gone. I know he can do it. Thanks again for all the information. gsgIDI:thumbsup:

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
ok guys breaking news as of tonight!!!!!

we traced the wires coming out of the rpm sensor all the way to the plug into the ecm, and checked them for continuity. all was good. so now we're thinking its the computer definatly. until i find in my manual the power relay for the ecm!!! one plug has constant power, one has ground, one has power after the relay is lit by the starter switch.

so we test the relay.

yellow is constant, red is dead while the engine is on!!!!!

if this is the answer, then the damn relay is shot and im only out minimal dollars instead of hundreds!!!!!! finally, i can sleep! even if its not the whole problem, in which case the computer itself would be dead too, then its definatly part of it!