E4OD 4R100 parts interchange

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have recently laid my hands on a 4R100 and am going to have to go through my E4OD soon. I was thinking I could make a hybrid using the best parts of both to beef it up a little. What parts are interchangable between the two? I understand the reverse drum from the E4OD is better while the planetaries from the 4R100 are stronger. What else can be swapped?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are right about the planetaries and reverse drum. Do you know what year the 4R100 is?

1; The pump will be higher capacity on the 4R100,
2; The center support in the E4OD might have a bushing, while the 4R100 should have a roller bearing. DO NOT REUSE THE BUSHING STYLE!!! It was an unbelievably crappy design. If the center support for the 4R100 doesn't fit, then get an upgrade kit instead. Its worth the added cost (if you are really stuck I could try and mail you a used set I have).
3; Depending on the year and build of the 4R100, it will probably have steel carrier planetary gears, but they may only be 3 pinion. Your transmission might have 4 pinion aluminum, so a swap in that case would be a bit of a trade off.
4; the planetary gears have thrust washers on the older E4ODs, where the 4R100 should have an actual roller style thrust bearing. The ring gear hub was also revised to accomodate the thicker bearing so that has to swap over as well.
5; Generally the sprags and one way clutches are better in the 4R100, but not all of them are backwards compatible. You'll just have to see what fits.
6; Hmm..... it seems you can change the case fittings for the cooler from 5/16" to 3/8". I might do this for mine since its in the shop right now anyway. This option goes all the way back to 1990 so anyone with an E4OD can do this;Sweet

You will have to be VERY careful with these swaps to make sure that they will work correctly after everything is put together. Check the clearances, fit and function of everything you plan to change to make sure they are correct before putting the transmission back in service.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The 4R100 pump will need to be modified to be used in the E4OD. It's easy. PWM valve willl need to be replaced. If you already have the updated "F" 95 and up pump keep it. That pump is just as good with some mods.;Sweet Keep your coast clutch from the E4OD. The shell will be the "hardened" version in the 4R100. For the price of the shell buy a new one. The big thing is to check all the hard parts for damage. Toss the bearing and buy new ones. They are cheap.:D I normally toss the bushings too.

Have fun on your tranny upgrade. ;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your local auto parts joint. Poke through the brass fittings.

That could work for the front, but the rear has an integral check valve thats sized for the 5/16" line. I guess it might be possible to just add a generic check valve instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online