E40D problems

IHOlRed

Reaction score
ok so heres wat my 1990 E40d (with as far as i know has 240,000 miles on it) is doin. it will go in park reverse and neutral just fine but all the forward gears sound like neutral and doesnt have any forward movement. i did go through a creek with it but had the fluid and filter changed. i have tried the mlps sensor w/o doin the connector and did not help. i am goin to change the connector when there isnt 7 inches of snow on the ground seeing as how im doin this in the parking lot of my appartment lol. jw if there are any other things to try if the connector doesnt help.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
No forward movement in drive could be electrical or a stuck valve. No forward movement in drive or manual 1 or 2 .Means the forward frictions or drum is bad.

IHOlRed

Reaction score
ok ya 1 and 2 dont do anything either so basically i need to open up the tranny to really see wats wrong

sassyrel

Reaction score
so your saying--you went thru the creek,and this happened??? if so--electrical. the other things wouldnt happen all of a sudden-may have broke a wire also--branch by creek snagging it----

IHOlRed

Reaction score
no it still drove and worked but shifted funny from water in fluid because i have a leak in my input shaft seal. it has not wated to go forward when the fluid was right at the low mark on the dipstick and i would add a quart and it would work again but now it is full and still not going forward

IHOlRed

Reaction score
does anyone know where i can get a parts breakdown or rebuild instructions? i have access to AllData but havnt found anything to help me there

sootman73

Reaction score
you'll have to find a e4od repair/rebuild manual somewhere. have you searched ebay for something like that? it has to be a specific manual for that tranny. it wont be on alldata because that is for vehicles.

and even if a wire was snagged and ripped out the trans has a default setting of going into third gear if put into drive and also going into 1 and 2 if manually shifted. it will also work in reverse. but no auto shifting or lockup.

whats your fluid look like next to some new stuff? anything in the pan when you changed fluid? how full was the magnet?

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
isnt there a fuse that supplies juice to the trans. dont know if that would be a posability or not just a thought.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, it don't sound like an electrical issue - I can kill all electrical power in my truck (sans the FSS and alternator) thus disabling the PCM and all its effect on the shift solenoids, and the trans will still go in a forward gear (2nd I think) when I manually move the shifter. If his don't wanna move the truck forward when the shifter is in any of the forward gear positions there's something wrong with the VB or maybe even the clutches.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think MLSC is right, but there is an easy way to know for sure.

Disconnect the transmission from the computer and test it. This should be done with the rear wheels raised off the ground since running it this way will strain it if under load.

An E4OD with no electrical power should give you:

4th gear in drive,
2nd gear in "2" or "1"
Reverse normally (might engage a little harder)

If you still have a no forward condition like this, then there is an internal issue that will likely require a rebuild.

Its possible that its only a stuck valve in the valve body, but it begs the question of what sort of contamination could have caused a valve to jamb like that so again, a rebuild is likely needed.

For rebuild manuals, these are what I used (and yes, you do need both):

rebuild book

update book

(Yay! I figured out the hyperlink feature:rotflmao)

These are ATSG manuals. The blue one is for overhauling, the green one documents the updates that were made in the E4OD over the years. Changes started as early as late 1989 so I say again, get both.

Or alternatively, you can try and find an original ford dealership service manual. Sometimes they appear on Ebay. There was a time when you could get them for $15 each but I guess $20 as as low as they can be found right now.

IHOlRed

Reaction score
ok thanks guys i think i have heard enough to know its time to pull the tranny and i can get a whole truck with working tranny for 500 so i think im gonna go that route

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight