E40D issues

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all. My brother in law has a 95 F150 with an E40D.
He relies on this truck to support his family and I'm trying to help him figure out his problem with it.
I drove the truck this morning when it was cold and it shifted just fine but after it warmed up, it wont take off in first gear from a stop sign, it starts off in second.
If you manually try to take off in first, it slips real bad and it feels like someone is applying the brakes.
Never seen one like this before but I was hoping someone with this trans might have an idea whats going on with it. Thanks.

W1cked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did the exact same thing it had to be rebuilt

W1cked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine was 2200 but it was beyond stock and a hairline crack in the plate above the valve body started it

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Most likely the pump is on its way out. There could be internal leaks causing a pressure drop when hot. Either way the tranny will need a rebuild.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll pass on the info.

He pulls a big gardening trailer around St George UT, all day long. I told him what he really needs is an old IDI with a simple C6.

LSOSGT1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've come to realize that on any given day you can look on any of these forums and there will be someone having trouble with an E4OD! I have one that keeps having TPS issues, although I think the TPS is fine and the TCU is the problem. I have another that the OD light is flashing, shifting hard, and it's not throwing any code??? Counting the days down until my ZF5 swap!!

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I've come to realize that on any given day you can look on any of these forums and there will be someone having trouble with an E4OD! I have one that keeps having TPS issues, although I think the TPS is fine and the TCU is the problem. I have another that the OD light is flashing, shifting hard, and it's not throwing any code??? Counting the days down until my ZF5 swap!!

Most of the E4OD's you read about are high millage and abused units.They have poor electronics and terrible programing. This is the stuff that gives the E4OD a bad name.:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online