e40d how is it supposed to feel?

Groovatic1

Reaction score
Ok.. I've been here before, but now I'm looking for more advise. (yall have been awesome and very patient with me)
So.. beluga is running great!! New cooling system with coolguard john deere antifreeze. New radiator with two high volume electric fans. All good now, but!
So I have a newly rebuilt e4od. Spent the good bucks on billet.. So how is it really supposed to feel? Shifting is pretty tight, but it will freewheel when I let off the gas pretty much any speed. Then relocks the torque converter when I get back on the gas. Seems ******* the internals? It revs a little then relocks.. Is this normal? I'm about to build a manual locking circuit for it? - I've already built the wiring harness myself. Or.. banks shift kit? Or am I over paranoid? I'm realllllly easy on her... Looking for a long lasting rig. Thanks y'all in advance!!!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your tail brake lights, a shorted bulb will unlock the TC. A light touch on the brake peddle will do the same, some people ride the brake peddle, is that you? The brake light switch can be set to close, a little road jar will trip it.

Then relocks the torque converter when I get back on the gas. Seems ******* the internals? It revs a little then relocks.. Is this normal?
Won't hurt anything. Yes, it will hesitate on relock.

[QUOTE I'm about to build a manual locking circuit for it? - I've already built the wiring harness myself.][/QUOTE]

Here are three ways to do that, compliments from several of us.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?43777-E4OD-Torque-Converter-Lock-Up-Mods

The shifting up 1-2-3-OD from soft to firm is somewhat dependent on the FIPL/TPS voltage setting, settings are from .96 VDC to 1.2VDC set with a warm engine and a Digital VOM, upper voltage is firm shift.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[QUOTEShifting is pretty tight, but it will freewheel when I let off the gas pretty much any speed. Then relocks the torque converter when I get back on the gas.][/QUOTE]
Kinda forgot about this.
The early EEC IV trans control, let it coast when letting up on the throttle. IIRC. You know, for fuel milage.LOL

Edit: A manual lockup is nice for braking going downhill and/or stopping down to 40 MPH, DO NOT USE IT BELOW 30 MPH.

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
When you push the OD OFF button the free wheeling should stop. The tranny will be in third with the coast clutch applied.

Is the locking feeling immediately after you press the go peddle? It it is the problem is with the one way clutch. The early design was know to do this. This part has been updated to correct that issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online