E40d Fluid?

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Well I'm still confused I guess. Are you guys still saying to not use Mercon V? Why Ford has issued a TSB that says Mercon V has replaced Mercon for all service?

Its what Ford's bean counters want.

Eric, seriously as long as the old atf is still available which it still will be for a long time i will continue to use it.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I dunno, i dont buy that they just wanted to do in all the old trannys. What happens when someone rebuilds an old tranny and reads this and fills it up with mercon v? Wouldn't ford end up with a class action lawsuit?

Sure would be nice to talk to who wrote this TSB...

Anyways i guess i'll be a geniea pig, pretty sure mine has been filled with mercon v since it was last rebuilt...

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I dunno, i dont buy that they just wanted to do in all the old trannys. What happens when someone rebuilds an old tranny and reads this and fills it up with mercon v? Wouldn't ford end up with a class action lawsuit?

Sure would be nice to talk to who wrote this TSB...

Anyways i guess i'll be a geniea pig, pretty sure mine has been filled with mercon v since it was last rebuilt...

Mercon V has been around for a while now. It dose work in all trannys. Old or rebuilt it doesn't matter. This fluid rating will not hurt the tranny.

If the tranny dies after a fluid change, it was going to die anyways. Doesn't matter what the fluid rating is. Most of the time it is dislodged junk from flushing a tranny with high mileage on the old fluid. Not the Mecon V rated fluid.

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I stumbled on this thread and it only seems relevant today to me. I developed a tranny leak somewhere in one of my lines and until I get a chance to slow down at work and fix it or take my truck in, I put some type f in my e4od just to keep it full. Haven't driven it but 2 miles since filling it to where it should be. Normally I wouldn't worry too much about it but since the tranny is a ford reman tranny that I've spent a pretty penny on about 6 months ago, I don't want to do anything to lessen it's life.

Anyway, after I topped it off, I saw the dipsticks writing and read this thread and now I don't know what to think. Is the type f ok? Do I need to flush it out. If the tranny holds 18 quarts, is one quart even going to make that big of a difference?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I stumbled on this thread and it only seems relevant today to me. I developed a tranny leak somewhere in one of my lines and until I get a chance to slow down at work and fix it or take my truck in, I put some type f in my e4od just to keep it full. Haven't driven it but 2 miles since filling it to where it should be. Normally I wouldn't worry too much about it but since the tranny is a ford reman tranny that I've spent a pretty penny on about 6 months ago, I don't want to do anything to lessen it's life.

Anyway, after I topped it off, I saw the dipsticks writing and read this thread and now I don't know what to think. Is the type f ok? Do I need to flush it out. If the tranny holds 18 quarts, is one quart even going to make that big of a difference?

mercon v is what you want,even though its a little more expensive than older mercon,it's a superior fluid re-formulated to work in place of older mercon years ago now.
however mercon is fine.
type f fluid doesn't belong in your e40d.1 quart probably won't hurt anything,but id have never put it in there lol.like Robert was saying back on page one,it'll probably just firm up your shifts a bit.
the old c6 i use to have called for type f anyway,so i knew nothing different,but i used to hear about guys putting a quart or two of type f in trans that called for mercon/dex to help shift firmness too.
of course all guys into that back then,we all burnt up several auto's due to abuse anyway lmao.so hard telling if type f in the trans had a lending hand in any of it or not.i killed several that called for type f anyway too.:D

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score

Your tranny will be fine. Just don't add more Type F to your fluid.

Mercon or Mercon V only.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your tranny will be fine. Just don't add more Type F to your fluid.

Mercon or Mercon V only.

I wish I got something out of this thread since I want to change my fluid in my new truck. 1990 f250 460 e40d 3.55s with 120000 miles on truck. Truck shifts good just a bit off for my like. I was looking at the trick shift fluid as I have seen a lot of folks running it and I like a firmer shift. I read on there page that do not run trick shift in electronic transmissions. Is the e40d not considered electronic? I would like to run synthetic to help with fuel mileage and longevity. I have read that the tranny holds 18 quarts so that is worrying me about cost of just the fluids!!! I went to walmart and looked and dang near just bought there merc5 that was less than $4 per quart. Is there any place that someone can show me what ford recommends as that would make me feel better.

I bought a 2007 up aluminum rear cover to put on the 10.25 and bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/271416702683?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 for the rear.

What about this semi synthetic fluid for the E40D? http://www.ebay.com/itm/400568917168?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any place that someone can show me what ford recommends as that would make me feel better.

TSB 06-14-4
MERCON ATF IS BEING REPLACED BY MERCON V ATF AS A SERVICE FLUID.

and:

Motorcraft® MERCON® V Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and Power Steering Fluid

Premium-quality dual-use fluid for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles
Can be used in vehicles requiring MERCON® V or MERCON® type automatic transmission fluid
Provides excellent performance in electronically controlled automatic transmissions
Manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives
Provides excellent shifting characteristics at high and low ambient temperatures
Offers excellent thermal and oxidation resistance, as well as good low-temperature fluidity
Provides wear protection and inhibits the formation of gum, sludge, lacquer and foam
Provides protection against rust and corrosion
Dyed red for easy leak detection
Suitable for use as a hydraulic oil in a wide variety of industrial applications that call for an ISO 46 or SAE 20W viscosity grade hydraulic oil
Not for use in applications where MERCON® SP, MERCON® LV, Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft® Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended
Not for use in transfer cases
Recommended by Ford Motor Company
Available in cases of 12 one-quart bottles, four (4) five-quart bottles, six (6) one-gallon units and 55-gallon units
Use of bulk fluid is environmentally proactive and bulk quantities are available at substantial savings

source of this one:
http://www.fordparts.com/products/chemicals-transmissionfluids.aspx

Last edited:

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thank you sir! So with me changing my fluid every 40000 miles will the cheaper walmart mercon V work? My truck has a bigger aluminum pan and additional 24000lb cooler on it. I may be looking at 24 quarts or so!!! My truck is a daily driver and a tow pig pulling a 22 ft gooseneck with one of my trucks on it a couple times a year.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Walmart brand fluid is fine to use. It is Mercon/MerconV rated.

What ever type fluid you use dino, semi or full synthetic. Make sure you see the Mercon or MerconV ratings on the container. If you don't see them, do not use it.

Do not use Trick Shift brand fluid in your E4OD. This is Type F like fluid (no friction modifiers)with a fancy name. When the converter clutch is dieing sometimes Type F will get you by. If the transmission is good this kind of fluid will kill the converter clutch.

E is for electronic. Your E4OD is a electronically controlled four speed transmission.:D