E40D 1st gear shudder

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
I noticed this a few weeks ago but thought maybe it was cause it was acctually cold for the time this fall up here. (like 32*) I had 2000 pounds in tow, and this is the only time it happens.
Loaded with around 2K+ in tow, from a stand still, only in first gear till around 1800-2000 RPM's then smooth.

I just went to MD-DE this weekend with about 4-5K in tow, and same thing, starting from a stop, 1st gear till about 2000RPM.
It isnt bad by anymeans, but noticible. Fluid looks good, smells good, proper level when warm.
I did find this thread but wanted to check and see if I need to follow the same process for my symptoms. http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12736&highlight=shudder

I did notice on this trip I have some speedo wobble, not much, maybe 2-3 MPH on either side. Thanks!

Oh, no blinking OD lights or anything, no hard shifts, just nothing out of the ordinary, only the symptom i described above. The tach does work smoothly.

Last edited:

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the same thing with my 93 IDI cc E4OD. Only when towing something heavy - if I put my foot into it off the line I hear and feel (mostly feel) a shudder. Maybe 30-40 cps or so... It is slightly alarming to me and I always take off v*e*r*y* slowly when towing. Once I'm going 5-10 miles per hour, I can step into it hard and it's fine. This is on a freshly rebuilt transmission and new T.C.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
Thanks for the links. The ujoints are good all the way around, I was just under it and checked em. No slop at all.

I will check the link u posted Roboto. I have a .472 accumulator valve that needs to go in from Sonnax, I just havent got the dough to shell out yet. I want to get a shift kit and put it in at the same time. I have the fluid, but 30 bucks for the filter n gasket, and another 30+ from suncoast for the shift kit.