DTC 17/18

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
friends '95 GMC has been throwing DTC 17 & 18 pretty consistent with a lurch when the SES light illuminates (kicking itself into limp mode)

I havent had time to run the diag tree on it, so this may be a premature question...
is the optical sensor on the injector pump a pretty common failure, or is a wiring fault more common?

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure which is more common(wire or sensor) but i do know that the optic sensor is a common IP component failure. im not sure if they overheat or become fogged up. however, i was throwing that code for my 97' although the code was different due to it being a obd2 system. i ran about 10 gallons of k1 through the system and it went away, never to be seen again. this could be one of those freak little ko-inky-***** that make people think that k1 is a fix for fogged up optic sensors or it could be that the thinner more varnish-ish k1 is a good cleaner of the sensor itself. im still alittle foggy myself on the exact details of the optic sensor so i dont exactly have the qualifications to tell you to try k1 but i can tell you that k1 doesnt lube the pump as well as #2 and running it straight probably decreases the life of the pump conciderably(<---spelling?) my pump was going south anyhow so i didnt really care----im not a pump tech so take it or leave it but best of luck

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
well, now that the starter failed in the bone-ash cold yesterday, and I took the time to clean all the grounds while under the hood (because the ALDL link lost it's ground), we're gonna see if that does it on it's own...

thank's for the tip, and I'll keep ya posted..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online