7.3 no check engine light and it ran like crap, What I did to make it awesome.

kiyochan

Reaction score
7.3 no check engine light and it ran like crap, What I did to tune it up FOR THE NEWB

This is for my 7.3 IDI NEWBYS out there trying to make it work like a champ. These are the common problems I’ve had to overcome to make it run beautifully. I bought my 89 F250 cheap because the guy thought it was on its’ last leg. Shifted like poop on a stick, hard starts, lots of smoke, throttle response was junk, light were so dim you couldn’t see at night, ate oil .NO ENGINE LIGHT!This is a Run down list if you just got your IDI and are tuning the thing up. I didn't put a lot of things in detail, you can google it once you know the key words you're looking for.

The Engine:

Throttle:

If your Truck is older than 10 years old YOUR throttle cable is loose!!! No going around it. You need to know how to tighten it. There is NO adjustment screw for the throttle. Go underneath where the gas pedal is and put zips ties around the cable and use them as spacers to take up the slack… It will make your trucks throttle response like night and day.

Glowplugs:
Hearing clicking means YOU HAVE DEAD GLOWPLUGS OR A BAD GLOWPLUG WIRE. Aftermarket is junk they swell get stuck in block requires removal of heads to get out! Don’t try it. BUY Motorcraft or BERU! Which is who makes it for Motorcraft.

Glowplug relay(top only):
These things wear out if you’re getting a hard start and no clicking, turn on Truck, put a multi-meter on the plugs and make sure they are cycling full voltage at the plugs. If they are not. Replace! After market is junk again. The aftermarket ones I got it buzzed every time you turn on your engine, just don’t do it buy motorcraft

CDR:
If your engine smells,eats oil and your center air filter bolt covered in oil. Change or clean cdr valve, you will be glad you did it helps with a clean combustion and so your engine doesn’t eat oil. I cleaned mine with a plastic container filled with hot boiling water and simple green and shake it like a Polaroid picture till your satisfied and blow on the hole on the back to see if the diaphragm still takes pressure. Rinse with water afterwards of course and DRY IT OUT water is bad for diesels BAD BAD BAD so leave out in sun and let drain and dry out for a day. That's what I did but google CDR cleaning pick a method whatever you choose it needs cleaning.

Tach sensor:
Look for it check the wires, they WILL go bad. You won’t like limp mode for your transmission.

The injectors !

Simply if your injectors are clogged your truck will run like garbage. Clean them out, but how ? There are many ways to clean them out I personally like amsoil injector cleaner, stanadyne injector cleaner, and archoil 6200. All work great there are tons of opinions out there go ahead and pick.By the way Motorcraft cetane booster also helps a lot on startups DON”T overdo it, it will burn up your engine, it’s basically trying to make mediocre diesel into top grade stuff, not rocket fuel.

Check for leaks, if the injectors are wet, your o rings are rotten, if your fuel lines are hard then change them. Air gets into the lines of these and makes it harder to start in the morning. It makes your engine compartment smell like diesel , which will make your AC smell like diesel at idle in traffic, brain cells are good don’t kill them with diesel.

Fuel filters:

Ford OEM design sucks and is prone to leaking everywhere. Get a filter that has a built in drain valve, drain it for water during oil service. Also put a damn metal cap with a silicone seal ring on the Schrader valve that valve will eventually leak it’s a hard part to find so that makes it work for cheap.

Thermostats:

Get a Navistar or FORD, all others are set WRONG and will fail BAD and your truck will run like poor. Don’t do it, just buy the good one

If you are changing the thermostat and your valve cover is leaking NOW is the time to change it the valve cover on the passenger side requires you to take off the fuel filter bracket which is required for the thermostat housing. Two birds one stone.

Coolant:
SCA additives are essential. IF YOU RUN GREEN COLLANT NO SCA your engine will eat itself and die FAST. The cylinder walls are thin without SCA spots form around the cylinder walls and holes form. Your engine dies because it floods with coolant! ONCE THE BLOCK IS DEAD YOU NEED A NE ENGINE. Good times.... SO either get a good fleet long life maintenance free coolant made for diesels with SCA already added or buy ford SCA.

Flush your radiator Proper cooling is important for engine to not run like crap

Radiator caps matter! It maintains pressure so the boiling point is higher steam doesn’t cool. It’s cheap replace its one every couple years for kicks.

E4OD:

TPS/FIPL sensor:

This thing will jack up your shifting royally if you have an UNCALIBRATED TPS sensor. When uncalibrated it will run as if you have a bad transmission learn to adjust it and now that you have a tight throttle cable your WOD will be RIGHT on the money.

Transmission coolers are essential period. If you like replacing transmissions by all means don’t do it. Get a good one they are cheap and well worth it

Use extra filtration and make change it every 20-30k. The wix or mangefine work great it WILL SAVE YOUR TRANSMISSION if your trans isn’t already broken.

Change your fluid. GET A BIGGER PAN with a plug, just do it. It hard to flush your system out so to keep everything working great change your fluid often 30k is fine. Change it before it gets bad or close to bad, trans fluid is cheap trans rebuilds are not.

By the way your torque converter is crap for towing, "when" it breaks get a good one, change flex plate to.

Congrats your trans is now good to go!

Drive train:

I hear a thud when I stop, what is it? It’s the slip yoke, go to ford get the Teflon grease and grease the hell out of it. Be prepared to change the rear seal of the trans if it has never been changed..

The pumpkin in the back:

Just change the fluid it’s easy and well NO ONE EVER DOES, it’s not everlasting oil!!! Change it at least once while you own the truck.

Brakes:

You have an old ford you have one of two options: a vacuum leak or low vacuum. It just stuff most people don’t bother to really maintenance cause it's a pain to find. Check the vacuum pump for pressure and how fast it recovers, most of the time it just need a diaphragm, word to the wise you don’t have to go motorcraft, but you get what you pay for. So don’t go bargain basement they will just burn out and you won’t have brakes. Brakes are good they keep you from going HULK smash when a rice burner tries to cut you off! Don't be cheap.

If your brakes are crap make sure you have good vacuum pressure, if the brake light on the dash stays on a little longer than you think it should, it means you have a vacuum leak or vacuum pump that’s going out. Remember Good brakes Good vacuum. On the booster there is a one way valve they go bad and no one bothers to check them take it off and suck on it if you can suck and blow on it no problem it’s bad.

Chassis and suspension:

Check body mounts if your car rides hard and you already replaced shocks, check the mounts DO NOT GO POLY. They will rattle your head off. Also while your underneath check the radiator mounts if they are loose or bad. Bad ones will cause the radiator to crack can you say good bye to 350 dollars! Mounts are cheap replace them even if it’s poly.

Poly squeaks and will continue to squeak for all eternity, But they do ride better and perform better. My suggestion buy poly for the sway bar, end-links, and tie rod boots. It’s cheap. Use money saved and put extra sound proofing into cabin Sound batting on firewall and heat shielding etc. It will make road noise quieter, engine quieter, cabin cooler, music sounds better, let people outside deal with squeaking. You deal improved handling and comfortable cabin.

Radius arm bushing suck and so do rivets. Change them to grade 8 bolts and replace your bushings they are cheap and they make your drive much better. It an easy fix once you convert to nut and bolts.

Steering:

Your steering box is loose. As a ford owner it will always happen, there is an adjustment screw on the box adjust it, Adjust it in 1/8th turns increments , DO NOT go past ½ turns for the life of the truck if it goes past that time for a new box! Hopefully you've already checked tie rod ends, ball joints, center link and pitman arm for wear. Steering box is for the times when you've checked those and still it's loose.

Fuel Tanks:
The ¼ dread. If you own this ford truck long enough this will happen, the original design was a plastic boot, over time it snaps off and thus you run out of gas at the ¼ tank mark. Hutch and HARPOON look it up. You will be glad you did.

Alternator:
Mine ran fine but the output was 12.8 volts at idle. It would charge the batteries barely and as a result of this low voltage my headlights were non existent. It’s like thinking you have a 100watt bulb and getting 60watts of light. THAT’S NOT NORMAL buy a new one! Your night vision will thank you! 13.8 to 14v at idle FTW

Pretty much all of this never set off my engine light. In these IDI's they little more than glorified low oil pressure light warnings. So it's up to you to make it happen! Hope this helps someone out there, this forum helped me so much, I figured I should try to contribute.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you really really need to change the title to "NEWBIES START HERE"

i suspect you have been on this site before, and was banned, be "good" this time?
anywho, welcome to OB.net

i only disagree with 1 thing, cavitation happens over a long peroid of time.
and you can always get these sleeved.

good article none the less.

Reaction score
Not sure why you're mentioning the lack of CEL. The only thing that sets off that light in our trucks is too low of oil pressure or too high of engine temperature, so unless you were experiencing one of those issues, the light was working as designed.

Mike

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ +1; the thread title had me :confused:, wondering how the CE light, which has nothing to do with engine performance, was relevant.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Well there's some good Info. But I Disagree with you on some things.
Like cleaning the CDR with simple green then "Rinsing" with Water. :idiot:
The Glowplugs clicking is the Relay.
also The Language :eek: this is a family forum
you don't need to say Sh*• every other sentence are you still 16?

kiyochan

Reaction score
Waystro I apologize for damaging your eyes with my vulgar language. It's just a bad habit I have never kicked. But you're right I'd rather have people focus on 7.3 content than language so I edited it with less belligerent words.

As for everyone else I edited the simple green CDR cleaning to search for your own method. It how I did it and its worked great but to each his own the cdr must eventually be cleaned and a lot don't even know its exists. Old school tech.

These trucks are 20+ years old it has been enough time to eat away at it and for new owners who don't know it they are simply ruin their engine.

And the clicking is cause by the resistance increasing due to a failed plug or wire. I had clicking; tested plugs, had 4 bad ones, changed them and clicking stopped relay was not bad.

As for the main point of the article the no check engine lack of performance. I agree with all of you the check engine light really only has a place as another low oil pressure light in reality, but for people of any modern car past 95 engine tend to complain about a lot more. Any small thing and it can be set off. As for the IDI it complains about nothing! So if you're new to diesels, I saw a lot of post like just got my idi what do I do to maintain it or what should I do to tune it up. They got a lot new injectors and pump, change oil on regular basis and change coolant. Which I'll be honest I don't think that's what really wanted to know they just didn't know how to say it. I think they want to know how to keep my car at top performance and is this really how an IDI runs? This post just says hey look CEL is really nothing, check these parts first, fix it, then do the above and your truck will treat you so much better . Just my two cents wanted it up here .

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome back or welcome to the forum. you have some good newbie information to share with others. Where did you learn these things??

Last edited:

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the info that us that frequent the forum have known. Nothing new here but good info to refresh now and then.

By the way, it's not a "gas pedal" nor is it a "car" ;Poke ;Poke

kiyochan

Reaction score
Searching endlessly through forums trying to figure out what the heck is going on with this diesel. I've also had a 90 ranger 2.3L , and 91 explorer 4.0L. All of them developed similar issues like power steering being loose, throttle cable being loose and no adjustment bolt, and roached vacuum hoses or just a vacuum leak it just happens to old cars in general. My mothers 2000 explorer that my brother in law had been abusing was starting to run like it had been running a pcm restricted rpm safety mode for the 5r55e tranny. No DTC codes, top rpm 3k max, top speed 55. So I found out the throttle cable had been stretched about an inch, because the throttle body had been stuck at the 40% position as it's max. In all I never found a post like this, a lot of people say stuff like what you get at a jiffy lube; change fluids, and filters and your good to go. Not to say those aren't essential things to get.

I'm just trying to say when I did that type of tune up My results sucked so I tuned up my car by testing in the following
Check air
Clean emission system( I have yet to run into a car in general that was 10 years old and egr cdr or anything wasn't partially clogged)
Check spark or ignition
Check fuel delivery
Check throttle linkage and sensors
Check vacuum and brakes
Check tranny sensors and know upgrades will help extend the life by lowering temperature and increase fluid amount and fluid filtration on transmissions are poor since they don't want it to clog and cause damage
Check suspension handling and ride

In all if you go down the list and check then with specs if they don't match up then you know it's not working fine.

I'm ignoring common sense stuff like change pads, bleed brakes, change fluids, change filters.

Last edited:

kiyochan

Reaction score
Sherwin yep nothing new just a condensed version that's all. yeah I changed car to truck thanks for spotting that, as for gas pedal meh I use that interchangeably it's wrong but you know what I mean.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We know what you mean, but the people that this post will benefit from will not.

i mean if a newbie dont know what a CDR is, they may be liable to fill their tanks with 87! :eek:

kiyochan

Reaction score
you know when I went to the parts counter at my local ford dealership and at my local truck center I asked for the CDR valve (I got one just in case it was bad) and they gave me blank stares. There isn't enough IDI's still around.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you know when I went to the parts counter at my local ford dealership and at my local truck center I asked of for the CDR valve (I got one just in case it was bad) and they gave me blank stares. There isn't enough IDI's still around.

not surprising.
ive went to my local ford dealership for a number of parts for my 87,
they act as if Ford never made a truck in 1987.

where in CA are you?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Los Angeles

About the loose steering. Might want to add the flat spring found in the sliding link between the box and the shaft. Its hell to get at but it sometimes breaks. then you have about 1/4 turn free wheel steering and no amount of tightening up the box will fit that. you need to remove the shaft from the firewall to the box. Slide up the plastic sleeve and remove the spring thats broke. When putting it back together make sure the shaft coupler at the firewall is positioned correctly. It may look the same top and bottom but its not. It will only fit the firewall steering shaft from the wheel one way. Best to mark it before removal. I did this job once with no issues. the second time it was hell. I had no idea why it would not fit. Took everything apart. cleaned it up. Tried again but nope.. Finally saw the different sides to the coupler. Surprised me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online