DT466 Project...1st step

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
They make new gear sets, but they are still 6.73's (Which for me, is crazy low). They say they are going to be coming out with different ratio's in the future, but they don't list what they will be. Probally, not much higher I'd bet.

Heath

call randy, iv heard hes already got a few out buy i could have been lied to. he was making higher sets because down here there are alot of people with 2.5 DD street legal trucks.

George_7.3IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably not a viable idea but for the radiator relocation... what about figuring out how to run baseboard heat registers and just hook them up to custom input and output manifolds so that you can run however many registers are needed in a parallel setup. This method might be a bit more adaptable in terms of mounting locations as opposed to the giant square radiator. Just a thought though.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably not a viable idea but for the radiator relocation... what about figuring out how to run baseboard heat registers and just hook them up to custom input and output manifolds so that you can run however many registers are needed in a parallel setup. This method might be a bit more adaptable in terms of mounting locations as opposed to the giant square radiator. Just a thought though.

I may have to do something like that. I'll see what I'll need to do once I get started. Cutting into the firewall too deep will kill any hope of keeping the factory ducting for heat and A/C. I certainly want both.LOL

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Heath,

On your '86 F250 what is the "***** Style" Filler Neck mod?

Cut the guts out of the filler necks. Move the rollover valve to a canister up near the filler neck. Put 7/8 hose where the rollover valve used to be in the top of the tanks and vent them to a modified (much larger) elbow in the side of the filler neck.

I can fill an empty tank in less than 60 seconds with the "big rig" nozzles, and never spill a drop.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OEM has 4.90 ratio Rockwell 2.5 ton ring and pinions. $1200.00 Pricey....

:eek::puke:

That's more than I paid for the DT466 and I can get a ring a pinion, a locker, bearings/seals, and larger axle shafts for a Dana 80 for that price.

Heath

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as rear axles go I had a f550 rear axle I used on my truck when I had it way lifted (back to stock now) It was geared 4.88 and they also have a 5.38 ratio. It was a dana 135. This was a monster its way tougher than a 2.5 ton rockwell and it has the vss also and huge disc brakes. It had a metric 8 lug bolt pattern but I had custom adapters made at the machine shop to put 8 x 6.5" wheels off the end of the hub but made a real wide stance. You can get a matching front axle also but its just a beefed up dana 60. The newer ones are 10 lug instead of 8.

I am interested to see this engine fitted in there also, neat project.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've keep my eye out for a wrecked F450-650 trucks that I could get the axle or axles out of. It seems that even the Dana 80 can easily be built to handle the power I'm looking to make. Thanks for the info.;Sweet

Heath

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heath,

There are a lot of people that have equivilated the rockwell deuce.5 axle to being weaker than a D70. This information is on Pirate4x4. The thing you gain with the rockwells is like you say driveline angle.

Good luck with your build

Paul

please post the link to this info. you might be right with stock parts but a built rockwell is no comparison. get the 16 spline chromo shafts from overson and never worry about them.

if you are gunna go dana i'd go right to a d110. and a super 60 for the front.

as far as the radiator issue, put the a/c condenser in front of the core support. if you're gunna run intercoolers run top or side mounted. put the rad in the bed. it doesn't have to take up much room and you don't have to mount it at floor level. mount it higher so you can still use the lower front part of the bed.

Last edited:

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been probably about 4-5 years but I remember seeing a f750 front axle that had 4.88 gears and air brakes. It was 750.00 and was massive, I don't think 4wd 650+ series are real common. I passed because I didn't know enough about air brakes to know if it could be switched to hydraulic. I was looking pretty strongly at newer axles to avoid the costly rebuild and upgrade of older axles. Sadly I have since converted my truck back to stock because it was getting real expensive and custom. I think a dana 60 is plenty strong for a front axle though unless your into the stuff that goes on over at pirate4x4.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It would take a bit of plumbing but if it's high enough , you could remote mount a rad under the bed with E fans, or if you really want to get fancy you could get about 4 smaller rads( 2 on each side ) and mount them at an angle inside the rear bed fender metal with cowl scoops and e fans, kind of formula 1 style cooling :sly