DT466 Project...1st step

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's too tall for practicle hauling anyway. ;Really

huh? i tow all the time with mine and i think mine is taller with bigger tires:D

subscribed, as i was thinking on the dt360 for mine.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Heath,

Just a couple of things I've thought of for some of my own projects. Just food for thought for you.

In an old Peterson's 4x4 magazine a fellow mounted two frames, one on top of the other on an old IH pickup for a lift. I've often thought that to get a truck transmission in one of our rigs we could do the same thing with the addition of a body lift for more height if needed (truck transmissions are much higher than a pickup tranny). Your engine, transmission, and drivetrain could be mounted on the bottom and the body could be mounted to the top frame. You would also gain quite a bit of room up front for a larger radiator if you went with electric fans. If you welded and gussetted this setup it would also build in a lot of strength.

There are a lot of people that have equivilated the rockwell deuce.5 axle to being weaker than a D70. This information is on Pirate4x4. The thing you gain with the rockwells is like you say driveline angle.

Without doing any research on your situation I think you would be better off starting with D80 axles. I believe a lot of Dodge 1 tons run D80's stock. These come factory with 1410 spicer drive lines.

With the Dana axle setup you could run many different gear combinations. I believe this would really help with the drivability of your rig. With the amount of torque you are talking your rig could easily pull anything you put behind it with 3.54 gears as a daily driver setup. To me this would be a much more enjoyable pickup to drive...track use would be a different story.

I'm pretty sure there is a spicer easy shift 7 speed with overdrive that is available for the DT466. Like you have said I'm not sure it will handle the torque you are planning on building, but it may be a good option to look at. Erickson Truck parts in MN gets these tranny's in from time to time.

Good luck with your build

Paul

big jake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I may have to do. That's how its been done before....see below:

You must be registered for see images attach

HERE is a video of the above truck in action!

Heath

Thats Frank Pushkarichs truck AKA Powersnorter. He is from back in PA somewhere and that is a bada** truck. I was there at LACR (Los Angeles County Raceway ) for that pull.

For a couple of years when sledpulling was just getting started, Frank would bring his truck out from PA to pull with the westcoast guys. Frank is a supernice guy, I spent a few hours early on a weekend morning BSing with him in the motel parking lot about his rig. back then, the truck was way north of 1500HP, but no way was it a daily driver. Frank owns, or did own at the time a chain of pizza parlors and I want to say they were in eastern PA.

tenlug

Reaction score
Take a look at a medium duty diesel of the same body style(F750). Check out the "dog house" that bolts to the center of the fire wall. It will let you move the motor back. This will also take some weight off the front axle. Couple of ways to go with this. Get the dog house and dash out of a medium duty and swap it into your cab or swap cabs for the complete medium duty cab.

We cut a hole in the fire wall and fabed a dog house for a mid 60's chevy with a 5.9 swap. Worked good, let us move the motor back from the radiator. We put in a Vintage Air unit in because it was easier than changing the stock heater box around. Also the Vintage Air set up would help with room at the turbo on a 5.9 Cummins swap into a Ford (no more heater box). Don't know if this is a problem with a DT466. This why I'd use the medium duty stuff. Steve

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you already have the Dt?
Well, the 1st step is done. I've purchased an 1993 DT466C.
Yep, from my first post in this thread...........see above.

subscribed, as i was thinking on the dt360 for mine.
The DT360 is only a 1/2 inch longer than the 5.9 Cummins and is much easier to fit under the hood than the 466. But, I really wanted the DT466 because you can get more HP for less cash, with more reliability, and with more torque per HP.

There are a lot of people that have equivilated the rockwell deuce.5 axle to being weaker than a D70. This information is on Pirate4x4. The thing you gain with the rockwells is like you say driveline angle.

Without doing any research on your situation I think you would be better off starting with D80 axles. I believe a lot of Dodge 1 tons run D80's stock. These come factory with 1410 spicer drive lines.

With the Dana axle setup you could run many different gear combinations. I believe this would really help with the drivability of your rig.

Paul
It's funny you posted that. I talked with Brent at Gene's Machine Shop today. He also recommended the Dana 80 for the same reasons you mentioned. He thinks I'd be OK with the Dana 60 up front if I don't try and pull with the truck. But for your standard 4x4 use, it should be fine. As far as the T-case, he thinks a built NP205 would work as well. But, that seems a bit worrisome to me.

Take a look at a medium duty diesel of the same body style(F750). Check out the "dog house" that bolts to the center of the fire wall. It will let you move the motor back. This will also take some weight off the front axle. Couple of ways to go with this. Get the dog house and dash out of a medium duty and swap it into your cab or swap cabs for the complete medium duty cab.

Steve
Thanks for that info Steve. That would be a big help. I'll have to have a look for one of those medium duty Fords. It would certainly save some fab work.

Heath

philadelphia

Reaction score
There no way that a u joint rock is weaker than an 80..Read the rockwell threads on pirate..

I wouldnt go shorter than a dana 110 or so for the rear but id look into mdt rear axles..

Get some rocks if your gonna run a tall tire 40"+ and source a tranny that has a deep overdrive..The 6.72 ratio of the rock is a killer..You can also look into front loading rocks or meritor axles etc.

I didn t know that the 466 could make that much power..I wonder how hard would it be to swap into my ih 1600

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn t know that the 466 could make that much power..I wonder how hard would it be to swap into my ih 1600

2000HP is common in serious tractor pullers with the DT466. I'm not looking to spend that kind of cash or loose that much reliablility.

It would be a lot easier to repower your 1600 than putting it into my F250.LOL

Heath

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
yea just some minor pump and injector tweaks and those 466's push out the #'s! ;Sweet i've seen 205's in 4x4 medium dump trucks, but ya never know better safe then...broken! cookoo i'm kinda thinking after the scout to do a 4x4 4 door long bed DT466 powered IH pickup.... :sly:rotflmao:love: but uhh...one thing at a time. cookoo

good luck!!
-Jon

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
without looking at anything, I'd think that if you could get the motor down low enough so that you could notch the firewall and not effect the dash board that'd be the way to go. Maybe the stacked frame deal would allow you to mount the motor below and the body of the truck on top?

I'm just thinking that this probably won't ever see a 3rd passenger so you could lose the middle seat position, but you probably don't want to have to completely reconfigure the dash board to fit around the new firewall. (unless you don't want heat and a/c ducts)

Oh and you'll probably want an automatic trans since the shifter for a manual would be way back--maybe.

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
without looking at anything, I'd think that if you could get the motor down low enough so that you could notch the firewall and not effect the dash board that'd be the way to go. Maybe the stacked frame deal would allow you to mount the motor below and the body of the truck on top?

I'm just thinking that this probably won't ever see a 3rd passenger so you could lose the middle seat position, but you probably don't want to have to completely reconfigure the dash board to fit around the new firewall. (unless you don't want heat and a/c ducts)

Oh and you'll probably want an automatic trans since the shifter for a manual would be way back--maybe.

i'm thinkin kinda the same, but i would box in the frame and do a body lift to make room;Sweet this project is giving me some idea's of my own:sly keep it up man;Sweet

EricW

my $h!t is stuff
Reaction score
For the Radiator, since you're already body lifting it could you mount the radiator like they do the H1's and build a frame for over the engine with the hood cut for clearance/flow?

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at how the engine was stuffed into Frank Pushkarich's truck, I am wondering if there was room for a intercooler behind the grille. In saying that, There's no doubt you'll be notching the firewall. I realize this would be very difficult but maybe you can stretch the front end 4-6 inches? Might be easier to do with a brick nose though. Might even be able to use the stock hood by stretching the cowl area and for that matter the frame just under the front cab area. More metal to section on the fenders back there but would look better than stretching the wheel openings unless you want to open them up more for tire clearance.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I think you should of just started w a F550,650,750. Even if you do get the engine in the truck, like you stated you will tear up the drive train. Then you will twist the frame like a pretzel. At least w a medium duty truck every thing will fit, You just need a MH front axle and T-case

sootman73

Reaction score
the hard part is going to be the accessories and what not. if you look at the pics closer there are no inner fenders to mount everything to. not to mention where is the alternator and all that stuff. doesn't look like there is any room in front of the engine. i think you're gonna have to move then engine backwards or move the core support forward.

and ididn't notice until now that it had compounds on it! ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand that you'll get 100 HP just by turning up the stock pump. ;Really

I think part of the idea behind this is to keep the truck as much a pickup as possible. Upgrading to an F-750 chassis or starting with one is a cop-out. Sub frames and all that are also cheating I think. Don't worry about the HP. That is controlled by your foot. All we are really concerned with here is the extra lenght and height. The weight is not really a concern in my mind. If this is to yeild popular approval, it needs to be as simple as dropping a diesel in a Bronco. ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online