Drunk Driving at 7am

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Any idea on how to tighten up my steering? it seems as if I have to turn the wheel a 1/4 turn to get her to respond. Maybe in 2 or 3 weeks when it dries out here I can go check my tie rods and the like.

88IDImattman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on that i have some play in the wheel not a full 1/4 turn like you but more than i care for so anyone got a fix it idea other than buying a new steering box ?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the rag joint by the steering box. That's where my problem was and a new strong shaft fixed it .

gatorman21218

Reaction score
That is quite the title you have there. i was not expecting what your question was, but it makes sense.

haha thanks. I am worried that I am going to get pulled over. And a 1/4 turn is an exaggeration but it is a good 3 inches from side to get a response and it is impossible to hold the truck in a straight line. I am always correcting the wheel. Think of a kindergarten class doing the motion for "wheels on the bus".
Now she doesnt pull hard to one side but more wandering with the road imperfections. I know Ford didnt offer a "sport tuned suspension" and a "car like ride" until 1999 but I feel as though my steering play is a bit excessive

gatorman21218

Reaction score
X2 on that i have some play in the wheel not a full 1/4 turn like you but more than i care for so anyone got a fix it idea other than buying a new steering box ?

my gear box is only a couple years old. I sure hope thats not it cuz its a pain to replace

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check your intermediate shaft first.
the one that connects the steering gear to the steering column.
they fail more often than do the gearboxes.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
check your intermediate shaft first.
the one that connects the steering gear to the steering column.
they fail more often than do the gearboxes.

is this the rag joint that has the little paperclip in it like billy was referring to? Arent these NLA? what aftermarket support/ african engineering options do i have?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If it turns out the shaft is the problem there are some replacement shafts that are much stronger, the dodge guys use them on their trucks, can't remember the name but they can be used on a ford truck as well.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to check all of the components from the steering wheel to the box.

85_IDI_4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont the upgraded shafts use a u joint with needle bearings instead of a rag joint? I know i have seen some like that before online

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't there a take up on the gear end play. Loosen the nut and adjust the screw in, just a little at a time 1/4 turn., turn the SW from side to side to make sure it don't tie up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin