Drop bracket damage

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Some one recently hit my parked '94 in on the passenger side head on.

Judging by the damage he was going pretty fast. His car was accordioned. I wouldn't be surprised if it was totaled. The bumper was shoved into the tire and part of the car went under the bumper and smacked the tire. It pushed the bumper around that front frame horn bending it in

I drove the truck today because it was raining( the 300D is not waterproof) and it was acting funny, kind of walking around.

I threw it up on jacks when I got home and disvovered a huge chunk missing from the drop bracket for the passenger side beam. Scared the sh*t out of me. :eek:cookoo The other bolts look like they have been walking around but are tight. Must have been from the flexing.

I found some acdelco drop brackets on rockauto for a little under $40 each. Are those any good?

Attachments

• Pic0447.jpg
    Pic0447.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 26
  • cracked drop bracket.jpg
    cracked drop bracket.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Pic0465.jpg
    Pic0465.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Pic0466.jpg
    Pic0466.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Pic0468.jpg
    Pic0468.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Looks like the pivot bracket has broken a long time. I would get a new one and torque all the bolts AFTER you put RED locktite on them

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Looks like the pivot bracket has broken a long time. I would get a new one and torque all the bolts AFTER you put RED locktite on them

No, its hard to believe but that damage was not there before the accident. I like to look at things and shake them around when I am under there and I did an oil change not to long ago, didn't see that there.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
No, its hard to believe but that damage was not there before the accident. I like to look at things and shake them around when I am under there and I did an oil change not to long ago, didn't see that there.

The second picture says otherwise. If it was fresh there would NOT be grease/oil where the missing piece of metal should be. But instead it is covered in grease/oil and that says it has been like that for a while

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two sets at my shop. both have come off 4wd trucks.
drop by and they're yours if you bring a 12pk of Coors reg in a bottle.:D

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao that's not even as powerful as Coors lite in Canada...how come yer beer down there is so.....well Watery? Like tears in beer....n I mean LOTS of tears?:rotflmao:rotflmao

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score

Thanks towcat! I may very well be up in that area sooner than I think. My buddies wife is having a baby next week and they live in mountain view.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had wacky death wobble issues with my pickup - I happened to jack the truck up by my plow gear and found that the entire beam was loose and flopping around causing the tire to run when I check the ball joints. All of my bolts were loose and looked like yours - I tightened the F out of them - they lasted 6 years of abuse with a locked front end and 34's, jumps and snow plowing. I didn't lock tite them, but probably should have...

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
I recently had wacky death wobble issues with my pickup - I happened to jack the truck up by my plow gear and found that the entire beam was loose and flopping around causing the tire to run when I check the ball joints. All of my bolts were loose and looked like yours - I tightened the F out of them - they lasted 6 years of abuse with a locked front end and 34's, jumps and snow plowing. I didn't lock tite them, but probably should have...

Im replacing the bracket completely because of the crack in it and the chunk missing. I may even replace the other one out of principle along with the bushings too.

Last edited:

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced those brackets on my buddies truck. It surprises me how frequently those brackets get loose. I definitely agree the wreck didn't do any good.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those bushings suck! I did one that was bad and didn't have it in me to try the other one (which was in good shape) Although, I did this with the brackets in the truck, probably should have removed them and used a press :doh: