Door sticker GVWR vs. Centurion dually conversion?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
One other thing to remember, or at least here in Indiana, ANY trailer over 10,000 lbs must have a CDL...... So the 26,000 doesn't come into play. I think the big thing the 26,000 is on a SINGLE vehicle, like a box truck, etc.....

I think the 10,000 on the trailer is actually a DOT thing, not state. So you may be under 26,000 and legal that way, but if the trailer is over 10,000, now you are not. Another thing that my son and I talked about (He has a class A CDL) and tanks also take a CDL. Any tank no matter what it holds, even empty, over 120 gallons (If I remember right) needs a tanker endorsement on a CDL. For example, a completely empty vac truck, just driving it from point a to point b empty needs a tanker endorsement, due to the size of the tanks on board. Or something "light" and overwidth, to the point it would need a permit, takes a permit and a cdl.......

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Every jurisdiction is different.

Biggest problem here is we have a 2-tier system for trailers (recreational vs commercial.) Confuses everybody. Big difference in licensing costs/structure, insurance, and enforcement levels, so beware - check your rules.

The sweet spot for me is to not license for more than 12k#(personal/pleasure use) and not haul commercial trailers. Otherwise the costs and obligations get nutty. I even have a 'CDL' (called a Class 1 in British Columbia) but I choose to steer clear.

I'm actually better off hauling trailers with a Suburban, Excursion, or E350 passenger van, as these vehicle types aren't licensed by GVW at all.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a very nice GVWR for a SRW. :Thumbs Up

Are you counting the 10% tongue weight the trailer adds to the truck? And is your receiver rated for that; using the required hitch type? (i.e. weight-distributing torsion bar setup).

I am playing devil's advocate here somewhat... all the details count when you're required to stop at the scales. Its the main reason I try to stay out of the commercial leagues.

Where I work they don't care. As long as the two tags don't go over 26K. It is a 2009 f350 with a big Knapheide box on the back. And I have it loaded with light ballasts, pipe fittings, tools, wire, hardware, etc. It has the dreaded 6.4 diesel in it, but it pulls all that and the skid steer on that trailer fine up the mountain.

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt think of that either. My 5th wheel receiver is rated at 15000 and my gooseneck plate is 25000.

So, trailer needs to be GVWR at 10000 or less to not have a CDL?

Im not trying to cheat the system, just trying to be safe and legal. As things grow and I can afford, I would love to be CDL, DOT etc etc legal.

That's fine for now. But good to know. I am hoping over time to grow and someday have my class A and be rated, licenced and raged and etc etc.

But for now I am just a guy with a truck trying to make something of him self.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other thing to remember, or at least here in Indiana, ANY trailer over 10,000 lbs must have a CDL...... So the 26,000 doesn't come into play. I think the big thing the 26,000 is on a SINGLE vehicle, like a box truck, etc.....

I think the 10,000 on the trailer is actually a DOT thing, not state. So you may be under 26,000 and legal that way, but if the trailer is over 10,000, now you are not. Another thing that my son and I talked about (He has a class A CDL) and tanks also take a CDL. Any tank no matter what it holds, even empty, over 120 gallons (If I remember right) needs a tanker endorsement on a CDL. For example, a completely empty vac truck, just driving it from point a to point b empty needs a tanker endorsement, due to the size of the tanks on board. Or something "light" and overwidth, to the point it would need a permit, takes a permit and a cdl.......

Never heard of the 10,000 lb limit. Unless that is something new they just came out with. I do know I have a class B CDL, and I can drive and haul over 26K. I can pull a trailer also, with the truck hauling over 26k, but I can't pull a trailer over 10k. So with the class B I can be way over 26K but the trailer can't be over 10K loaded. Looks like they were targeting the dump truck guys with the eager beaver pintle hitch trailers for some reason. How are they going to haul their backhoe behind their dump truck without going through all that trouble to get a class "A"?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Im not trying to cheat the system, just trying to be safe and legal. As things grow and I can afford, I would love to be CDL, DOT etc etc legal.

That's fine for now. But good to know. I am hoping over time to grow and someday have my class A and be rated, licenced and raged and etc etc.

Sounds like your hitch is plenty. The GVWR of the truck you have, and your local state laws are going to dictate what you can tow/haul with your level of driver's license. You also better check what it takes to run a business in your area (insurance? business licence? etc).

If a CDL is anything like I went through, the most time/cost-effective method is sign yourself up for a minimum-length driving school program. No experience necessary; $2600; pay attention and pass. Then you can drive anything. Experience comes later.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Personally, I would start with a bigger truck. No way I'd hotshot with a old 3/4 ton. New 1/2 tons are on the verge of out rating old 1 tons. (Little drastic, but you get the point)
Everyone will hate me for this, but I would look for a dodge 3500+ with a manual trans.
If you're diehard ford/idi, find a F-SuperDuty.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want to haul that much with this truck. I dont like "relying" on the trailer brakes to stop.

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill do local pickup and deliveries for a buddy of mine that has an aftermarket repair shop, and when he finds them out of state ill do the pick up also. I was a powersport tech for 15 yrs, my training and love is Harleys. Helped him open his shop. I dont know if it was turning 40 last year or what, but can't stomach working on my own anymore let alone anyone elses. (To be fair, its the people that suck not the bikes). Hopefully things will grow and someday I can retire off of this.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a CDL is anything like I went through, the most time/cost-effective method is sign yourself up for a minimum-length driving school program. No experience necessary; $2600; pay attention and pass. Then you can drive anything. Experience comes later.

Local community college has one of these driving school programs. Cost's $4000. You can do it yourself, hard part is finding someone to get a truck from to take the test.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call dot
Call dot
Call dot
Lather rinse repeat
Just try and stop 26k safely with an obs!
Good brakes on truck and trailer and a little common sense its do able. Been pulling 18-20k with my 93 dually for over 10 years now with out a problem.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doable' yes.
Dot may HAVE a different take!
We all saw a pickup truck tow the space shuttle thru downtown...

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there any thing I can upgrade when I do the brakes? Meaning is there a great rotor/pad combination or parts from a bigger truck that would fit, like new rotors, pads, calipers and bracketry? Better drums etc. Or even a "bolt in" replacement axle with rotors? I have seen the posts on doing the hydro conversion. And that I am intereasted in doing. My chevy had them and they were nice.

Nothing to do with weight ratings, but I feel its more important. Brakes are coming up so I might as well ask