Does this come off???

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's the same opinion my buddy had about his fuel water separator when he by-passed it. Worked fine for about 15 years until he got a load of water in his fuel tank....and that didn't happen while goofing off at home. He was about 600 miles from home and 300 miles from his destination. He had a whole lot of fun pulling over every ten miles to dump the water out of his fuel filter and onto the side of the road. Not to mention the truck didn't want to pull squat and the engine sounded awful.
I probably miss-read something you said. But what does the fuel heater have to do with water in fuel? Except in freezing temps....

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your opinion is that the fuel heater is "a useless system". My buddy's opinion was that the fuel water seperator is "a useless system". The "useless system" opinion bit my buddy in the rear big time. I hope your removed "useless" fuel heater never bites you in the rear. I've seen people get stranded because their Diesel sat there dead as a doornail because of fuel waxing.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Your opinion is that the fuel heater is "a useless system". My buddy's opinion was that the fuel water seperator is "a useless system". The "useless system" opinion bit my buddy in the rear big time. I hope your removed "useless" fuel heater never bites you in the rear. I've seen people get stranded because their Diesel sat there dead as a doornail because of fuel waxing.

I haven't removed mine. And never said I thought it was useless. And you in no way answered my question. I said with the exception of freezing. Which I assumed people would include gelling in there. To me that's the only use for it. But you blamed your buddies water problem on the fuel heater.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK.....after wondering what the h*** is this guys problem and after re-reading this thread several times, I finally see were this thread went astray. I mistook "79jasper" for "02x72". It won't happen again and I have punished myself accordingly. No hard feelings and it's all as clear as mud now.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
OK.....after wondering what the h*** is this guys problem and after re-reading this thread several times, I finally see were this thread went astray. I mistook "79jasper" for "02x72". It won't happen again and I have punished myself accordingly. No hard feelings and it's all as clear as mud now.
None here either.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave 001, once heated with a heat-gun then does it lift up?
Or, twist etc?

Last edited:

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would that be another location where air could be sucked into the system?
I've learned, fuel related parts don't necessarily have to 'leak' fuel before they will suck air.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The other places where air can be sucked into the fuel systems id the lift pump feed line to the filter head. At the filter head inlet that line nut has a 3/8 rubber seal called an olive. Then both ends of the feed line from the filter to the injection pump. Both ends of that have an olive too but they are 5/16 size.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There's a big difference between a fuel/water separator system and the fuel heater systems located in the filter heads on these trucks. Proper use of ant-gel, I prefer Howes, and your fuel will never gel. My truck sat on the Canadian/Montana border for days at a time in wintertime and sub zero temps last year multiple times and because of a well maintained fuel system (which included this stupid thing being JB welded closed) fired right off after one cycle of the plugs. Diesels can run on cold fuel, they cant run on water.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which do you think would be better for that: the quick steel in the tube? Or the epoxy kind that you mix together from the separate tubes?

The kind you mix together. Be warned though that JB weld is not resistant to diesel over time. There is a similar product mad by Permatex that is though, and that is what you need to use. I call it JB weld for simplicity and everyone knows what I mean.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The kind you mix together. Be warned though that JB weld is not resistant to diesel over time. There is a similar product mad by Permatex that is though, and that is what you need to use. I call it JB weld for simplicity and everyone knows what I mean.
Might be more work, but what do you think about drilling it out, tapping it, and just put a plug in it?
I only ask because I have a collection of some taps and dies.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its possible I suppose, but Ive seen filter heads crack when tightened down too hard and would be wary of cracking it when Im tapping it or removing the plastic housing it sits in.