Do I need a new transmission?

dtrujillo63

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 94 F250 7.3 IDI Turbo with an E40D transmission. I only use this truck to tow my rock crawler around, the trailer and buggy combined probably weight about 7,000lbs. I normally make a round trip of 300 miles every other weekend while towing. I take good care of this truck and drive it gently. I always make sure that my transmission temperature stay below 190 degrees and never haunt for gears. This last weekend on my way home from the trail, my overdrive light started flashing while driving down the freeway. After driving a few more miles with no signs of mechanical issues and normal transmission temperature, I suddenly lost all torque and had 100% slippage. I coasted to the side of the road and turned off the truck. After waiting about 15 minutes, I turned it back on and was able to make it to the next exit, it did shift roughly at this time. To play it safe, I called AAA to tow the truck home and my buddy to tow my trailer. When I got home, I decided to take the truck around the block, it got going but shifted roughly. At that time, I also noticed that I couldn't engage reverse. It almost seems like it's not even trying to engage, it acts just like neutral. I tested for codes and received a code 62.

Do you guys think the transmission is smoked? According to the code and my symptoms I'm pretty confident that my torque converter is shot. However, not sure about the transmission. Like I said before, I babied this truck and never had any transmission issues or symptoms until this. Could a blown torque convertor cause my reverse not to engage?

Thanks!

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes, I was reading your post ..thinking wow this is the same thing that happened to me...all the way down to using my truck to tow my jeep. I lost my torque converter on the way to the off road park. But you do have more issues than I had. I got error code 62 but I was able to use all my gears. You are shifting hard because your in high pressure mode (limp home). You can disconnect the batteries for a bit to clear the blinking od light. But it will probably come right back on.

I have a post on here somewhere about my ordeal. I dropped the trans and took a chance on a new tc. So far everything is good. But you definitely have more going on than I did. I hope it works out for you. If you end up having to get a new one check out Ford and Jasper. Both have remaned. trans at good prices with 3 year unlimited mileage warranties.