DIY fuel line clamps?

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes the adapter is there. Sounds like bending the line a bit would be the best option but it's off by more than a little. If I had known a new part would be so different I would have tried to source a used line.

I like the idea of using two Adel clamps as that seems the most likely to work with the gap between my lines. I had purchased a replacement 3-line clamp because it was missing and the likely cause of my fuel line failure, but the new clamp won't attach no matter how i position it. I really appreciate the replies. The more I learn the more I realize I need to learn! :thanks:

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, um, I've bent lines a few times.
It's not too hard, they are relatively 'soft' steel. Clamp one side of the bend area in a vice, and then just bend it with your hands.
You don't want it to kink, so you don't want to try to bend it too sharply... but you can definitely bend it without too much hassle.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please stop.. If the number one injector does have the brass timing adapter connected to it you MUST have the line for the van application. No other way the line will be correct. Now if as you posted the new line is about 1 inch too tall you must STILL have the timing adapter connected to the injector. Use a 5/8 wrench to remove it and the new line will fit CORRECTLY now. Please tell us what cylinder you are working on. EVERY cylinder has the number printed on the intake port passage. Number one cylinder is near the fuel filter on any TRUCK idi 6.9 or 7.3 engine application.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
In the first post he says that he replaced the #1 line. I think that the #1 van line is the same one as on a 6.9 since it doesn't have the timing adapter. I may be wrong.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Remove the brass timing adapter and all will be fine as frogs hair. Otherwise its time to punt cause your on forth down. That brass timing adapter is NOT necessary for timing. The ONLY reason it is there on these engines is to make ALL the line the correct length. Very slight bending of the lines means just enough to make them thread on easily. Please do not make new bends in an already engineered line

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks icanfixall for your response. So to be clear, you are saying I can remove the brass timing adapter and the engine will run normally. And hopefully the line will sit close enough to the other two to use a proper clamp. Sorry but I am waaay outside my paygrade in this discussion.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks icanfixall for your response. So to be clear, you are saying I can remove the brass timing adapter and the engine will run normally. And hopefully the line will sit close enough to the other two to use a proper clamp. Sorry but I am waaay outside my paygrade in this discussion.
Yes.. This is exactly what I'm saying. Many times a van engine ends up in the trucks. The van engine has this brass timing adapter on the number 4 cylinder. So the van number 4 hard line is about 1 inch shorter than the truck hard line. Now on the truck number 1 cylinder hard line they are short because of the timing adapter. I removed my timing adapter on my truck and installed the van hard line so now I do not have that useless brass timing adapter.
These brass timing adapters were the only way we could time our idi engines way back when they first came out. They had a rotunda timing meter but it was not a very good meter. the displays burned out and no way could you see what it said. Reasons they burned out is so called mechanics left them turned on to long....

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried removing the timing adapter but the new line wouldn't meet up with the injector and seems to be shaped to accommodate the timing adapter. I guess it's off to flea-bay to find another injector line. I will try and contact Oregon Fuel Injection and maybe Dipaco.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can get the line from dipaco for you. They only sell to dealers.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The line I bought from Oregon Fuel Injection is from Dipaco. I spoke to someone at OFI and they confirmed that I had ordered and received the correct line--but that maybe I got one that was made on a Monday or Friday.:drunk::idiot:

Edit: Finally dug out my ancient digital camera and got it working so here are a few pics of the new line.

View media item 203View media item 202View media item 201View media item 200

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online