Discovered missing oil cap

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
After driving about 300 miles i discovered my oil cap was missing. This is strange because i haven't touched it since i changed the oil about a 1000 miles ago.

Their was a sound that tipped me off that something was wrong, it was a clanging sound coming out of the oil fill.

But anyways, could this have caused any harm?:dunno

I thought it would be interesting to share that there was NO oil being sprayed out from the fill hole into the engine bay. It had a run in with the fan on its way out because the back side of the fan feels a little rough in some areas... Its surprising how little damage occurred. cookoo

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
If you ever run the engine with the fill cap off, they all make that sound. It's the gear mesh sound resonating up through the crank,cam, and pump gears...

I'm guessing you didn't hurt anything.

You probably didn't puke any oil because the crankcase draft is kept at bay by the CDR. Since the intake operates at a partial vacuum, and the engine fan is basically force feeding air down the oil fill tube, at worst you probably got some dirt in the engine. Probably wouldn't hurt to do an oil change.

FWIW - I've seen more than a few OBS trucks with the serpentine belt that have a mungled fan, mine included. If they've ever chucked a belt, it can tear up the soft aluminum fan fairly easy. As long as it isn't terribly out of balance I don't think it's much of a problem. ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow.... If that happened to me the cap probably would have eaten a hole in the radiator. They are cheap at most any fake auto parts stores or a pocket part at the wrecking yards....

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys.
Ya, changing the oil is not a bad idea... i do have plenty of filters at the moment.:sly

@sparkandfire: I always wondered why it exactly made that sound when the cap was removed.

@gary: Thanks, there is a pepboys right across the street from work, i will grab one there ;Sweet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as the oil level is good, and you didn't get much junk down the fill pipe, you shoudl be fine.

I'd agree with changing the oil. Moisture and debris likely made it into the oil, but probably not much.

Heath

Last edited: