different states. different fuel?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in ca. I drove to az last friday. I bought fuel in az and added my normal amount of 2 stroke oil to the fuel. Immediatly noticed that my engine was much louder than it is with ca fuel. It also ran better,had more power and got better mpg.

I got 13.2 mpg @80 mph on az fuel vs 12.4 with ca fuel.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably winter vs summer blend fuel

This^
another reason is we have our own blends here in ca and even then the blends are different in different areas of the state. for example northern ca has different blend than the L.A. area. It helps fight smog, but raises the price and as you see affects performance and mileage.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Another example of crappy cali politics working to crap on all of us living here. I too have felt the difference is az and cali diesel.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found the winter blend of diesel runs better. Could be that the Cetane is raised a little for cold starts, plus the antigell additive.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found the winter blend of diesel runs better. Could be that the Cetane is raised a little for cold starts, plus the antigell additive.

That's interesting: Winter fuel out here generally gets worse mileage. I will say this: nothing burns as good as the old higher sulfur content diesel, or the non-oxygenated gasoline. Both were significantly better on mileage in my experience.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Last winter when I had to drive from Tulsa Oklahoma to st Claire Missouri (01 duramax, slightly worn injectors) to trailer my brothers idi home:
Filled up before I left(qt), truck randomly lopes and hazes pretty good. Ran out just as I came into town (no cash on me) so filled up at a truck stop near st Clair. After driving for just a bit, could definitely tell it was running better. Lope and haze went away.
Truck ran better for a few tank fulls after that.

But I noticed big truck stops seem to have better fuel anyways.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Nrliftedranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
big trucks tops usually go thru more fuel than mom and pop stations boy did i like running that high sulfer off road fuel in the trucks ran really good a little cheaper but if i got caught big trouble

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in ca. I drove to az last friday. I bought fuel in az and added my normal amount of 2 stroke oil to the fuel. Immediatly noticed that my engine was much louder than it is with ca fuel. It also ran better,had more power and got better mpg.

I got 13.2 mpg @80 mph on az fuel vs 12.4 with ca fuel.

Glad I live in AZ :sly;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm not sure but I have read a few posts here that offroad fuel is the same as on highway fuel now. Its dyed to show its off road only to prove beyond doubt what your doing by avoiding the road tax... Thats a costly fine too. And trying to run atf will not prove your not in fact running off road fuel. They do more than just look at the color when they dip your tanks I'm told. Is it really worth doing.. Not for me. But I understand we can run it if... We can prove the rig is a farm truck used mainly on the farm. Needs some proof that its on the roads doing farm work. not parked in front of the bar or gril...