Diff carnage

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Blew up seems to be an understatement here!! WOW!!!

Sorry to hear that.....can I ask what you were doing when it decided to quit the organization?

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW! had it been running dry? I have an old dana 60 rear that I have been thinking about scrapping, but that pic makes me think I should keep it around in case the 10 bolt on my chebby does the same thing.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Wow! What a mess... That looks like the rear diff in my '05 explorer, lucky for me it was under warranty :D Turns out Ford used NO bolts to attach the ring gear to the carrier on the explorer independent rear diffs, just a machined pressed fit... Gee, I guess they never heard of "thermal expansion" -cuss

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a gm 10 bolt they werent built t take the **** we go to them today better off putting a ford 9 inch in her or putt the 14 bolt in her

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
hahaha well the story gets better

The truck is its last legs (rust bucket, t-case is held in with a tow strap but the engine is in top shape :sly) So when the diff blew up I was about 25 KM from home so i just put it in 4wd and went home running off the front axle. A couple days later my budie wants some parts off it and then its beeing scrapped (truck is to much of a bucket to put any $$ in). So we go to drive it to his place (about 2 blocks away) and I get about 100 ft and the stupid c-clips drop out and the axle slides out of the housing and the burb falls. -cuss -cuss -cuss so then im mad so f##k it ! the diff is f***ed anyways so I continued on going :rotflmao

So Some friends are getting some GM parts. Im going to keep the 6.2 and would like to find a nice 80s GM 2wd short box step side and put the 6.2 and 700R4 in that and have a nice economy runner. Crazy thing i know some 6.2s get a bad rapp, but this one had about 500,000 KM on it last year when it was in for a new IP and the mechanics did a compression test on it and the lowest was 400 PSI and the highest was 425 PSI across all 8 cylinder

You must be registered for see images

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like them there heavy duty air cooled brakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online