Diesel Warning Lamp Module repair....the frugal way

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had my dash out and fixed a bunch of small items that needed fixin. During the repairs, I discovered that some (expletive) had "fixed" the "Engine Temp" light. Probably the same (expletive) that cut the OD switch/light harness. The truck had a bad "Engine Temp" sender (light "ON" constantly) and instead of replacing the sender, he disassembled the light module and broke the offending light bulb. What a (expletive)!!

The Diesel Warning Light Module does not have replaceable light bulbs, requiring replacement of the module if a bulb burns out. This is how I fixed mine.....

The module as I found it with the mising light bulb.....
You must be registered for see images attach

Radio Shack 272-1141

The new light bulb wires soldered to the terminals. Hardest part about this was my eyes not being the greatest and big fingers trying to work with tiny wires.

I hot glued the light bulb to a small piece of plastic which was hot glued to the housing. This gave the light bulb good support in order to keep the soldered wires from breaking due to vibrations and bouncing down the road.

I hot glued the two halves of the module back together and it works just fine. Do to the tight quarters, the new light bulb is a little off center of the lens (you can see that in the pictures) but it appears to be just as bright as the factory bulbs. Hopefully I will never see that light "ON" again....it is after all a sure sign that your engine is on the verge of meltdown!!

Oh yeah....the Radio Shack bulb was less than $2.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Odd that some crazy other owner felt that was the way to fix something when a simple piece of black electrical tape could have done the job without "breaking something"...

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Odd that some crazy other owner felt that was the way to fix something when a simple piece of black electrical tape could have done the job without "breaking something"...

That's funny. And actually, why didn't they just do that? Maybe too obvious when trying to sell the truck??

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or they could have pulled the wire from the sender that turns on the light. That would've been the LEAST work. 'Course, they could've replaced the sender like they should have....