Diesel timing effects

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought this old idi truck in my sig.I noticed a sorta fresh looking pump,so looked at the timing marks and found them to be mis aligned(retarded)This is after driving it for a couple of weeks,so I know how the engine feels.So I aligned the marks and the motor is more throttle sensitive and seems to be far more responsive.But It seems like it made more tq slightly retarded.So,had the old Dodge out today,commonrail 04 model.Pulled out my Smarty tuner and started playing with the timing.Im not a power hog,just like a smooth,mostly smoke free tune.Same results.Less timing,the motor wont acclerate as quickly as adv timing,but felt like it was making more tq.I advanced it just a tad,then a little and so forth.With a lot of adv,it seems like unless you are on the mat power is down,but goes like ..well.Less made it feel like a tq monster.Can someone explain?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time it with a meter and then work with the numbers you get, otherwise it is all over the map like a blind duck running in a barnyard...not knowing nothing!

JM2CW

Cannot compare these to doges they are not same!

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know.I have a drawer full of pressure transducers at work.I need to see if I can get one to clamp these inj lines and see if I can get it to fire a reg timing light.Or I could NOT waste a few hrs of my life and go buy one...