Diesel Purge on an IDI

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello (yet again ;))!

I just realized that I never thought to ask this amongst the IDI community. This is a common practice amongst Mercedes diesel owners, and while I haven't tried it myself, it apparently works quite well for cleaning the injectors up.

The basic idea is this: Take the cleaning agent (the M-B guys swear by Lubro-Mahle Diesel Purge {which was apparently formulated with this in mind}, but I imagine Fred's Hair Tonic or SeaFoam could be used instead) and put it into a clear glass jar. Then, re-route the fuel supply and the fuel return lines so that they're both going into the jar. This way, the lift pump will be pulling fuel from the jar, and all fuel will be returned to the jar...and, except for any residual fuel in the lines, filter, or IP, the injectors will be getting a straight does of the cleaning agent.

Once that's done, fire off the engine, and let the engine run on the cleaning agent until the jar's nearly empty. The contents of the jar will get real dark and cloudy after a minute or so, and will clean up as things progress.

When the jar's almost empty, kill the engine, put the fuel lines back where they belong, and dump any remaining cleaning agent into one of the fuel tanks. If the fuel was still dirty at the end, do a second purging as soon as possible.

Like I said, this apparently works wonders on M-B diesels. Offhand, I figure it's at least worth a try on an IDI...or do you think this might adversely affect the injector pump or the injectors? Has anyone given this a try?

For a better description of the procedure, take a look here.

What are your thoughts?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
huh... never heard of it before (additive or procedure)... Don't know how well it would work but seems to make sense because your just blasting the fuel system with a cleaner/lube as opposed to just putting it in the tank and only getting a fraction of the action...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, I should change what I said...I was saying that I imagine that Fred's Hair Tonic or SeaFoam could be used in lieu of the Lubro-Mahle stuff...but I just read an ad for Diesel Purge in an M-B catalog, and it specifically said that it's "the only concentrated product that can be used while the injectors are still in the car".

This is the webpage for the catalog I got that quote from, and here's another page you can get it from, if you want to try this stuff. They're spelling it "Lubro-Moly", which, I guess, is the U.S. spelling...

Not trying to sell the stuff; just thought someone might want to take a look...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only thing is, then, most of the agent goes back into the fuel tank and gets diluted in the fuel...the idea is to do a full-strength application. :)

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
Actually, "Lubro Mahle" doesn't own the exclusives to this procedures, as Cummins offered a similar kit under a Fleetguard P/N, which was used extensively for their class 8 "444" engines. It had hoses which ran to and from the PT fuel pump, and the product ran undilluted through the system till almost empty in the large (about 3-4 gallon) jug. You could put a smokey, ragged engine through this process and witness a correction in how it was running part ways during the treatment. Remaining product was generally dumped into the tank. Later, they offered the same formula, referred to now as "Lubricity" just to add to tanks, which I felt didn't do nearly as thorough job. I have ran than treament in 50/50 diesel strength in a fuel filter, engine at brisk idle with some pretty decent corrective results (clearing up of smoke and rough running). The trick if you are going to run the pump continuously recirculating would be to ensure the formula was not too concentrated in cleansers, etc. if experimenting.
My $.02

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online