Diesel Mechanic in Durham, NC Area

Robt.Webster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying to change out my mechanical lift pump for a Facet Duralift pump, and have gone as far as prepping the wiring and the pump location (at least on a temporary basis until I see that the fuel hose installation won't force me to move it). I am currently residing in an RV park, and the management won't allow me to do the work of removing the mechanical pump and completing the installation of the plumbing for the electric pump. Not the best working conditions, either.

I have tried contacting all of the shops that I can find in the area that know these vehicles, but have been blown off on the most part with either the vehicle is too old for them to touch, or the work is too small. I was recommended to one man who knows diesels and these trucks, and although he seems sympathetic and willing to help, his shop is so busy that he doesn't seem to be able to fit me in.

Would anyone know of someone in the Durham area that I might approach? I have all of the material, so I only need to find a mechanic with a window of time to do the work. This is my only vehicle I have available to me, so I would need to have the work done on the same day it was brought in.

Barring this, I will have to rent a car and leave the truck at a shop to be worked on when their time permits. Can do this, but not an inexpensive solution.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya, RV parks don't like anyone doing work on there vehicle. It's an oil problem. Some RV parks have a storage area that they will let you work on your truck. Explain what you are doing and that no oil is involved. You need a BBC block off cover for the mechanical lift pump. You should be able to do the change over in a Mall parking lot. Just put down a little cardboard to catch any fluid. The suction hose should be 3/8" from the steel line to LP, from your new LP to filter should be the same.
Check with one of the Auto parts stores, some will let you work there. There is 6 different AutoZone stores in Durham.

Why are you changing the LP when you don't have the facilities to do that?

Last edited:

Robt.Webster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After having a Moose Junior pump installed, the truck has become difficult at times to start. Mel indicated that he thought that the mechanical pump, which is the original, was having trouble supplying the new injection pump with enough fuel at cranking speed.

I wasn't aware that the park wouldn't let me complete this work until I was at the stage where I was going to remove the old pump and connect up the new one, then they politely told me that vehicle work wasn't allowed.

Already have the blanking plate, fittings and hose...now just need someone to finish the job.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Go drive to the parking lot of an auto parts store in the morning and work in their parking lot through the day until you're done? And have access to some potential misc parts then too?

Just a thought

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online