Diesel in Great Britian.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, we are back, and man is the US behind the times on diesel vehicles.
We had a rental car, Ford Mondeo 4 dr 2.0 diesel 6 speed manual, that thing has some pep and gets great mileage, no smoke and quiet. Why wont the alphabet soup agencies that think they are cleaning the air hear let these cars in the states?:dunnocookoo
I enjoyed the rattle of diesels the whole trip and the wife mentioned they dont stink like here. And they have emissions equip on them and actually have power.
So anyway , the trip was great, till thursday night when my wallet gat lifted buy a pickpocket out of my front shorts pocket, the ******* bumped me 3 times in the tube"(subway) on a very crowded train, we went to move at the next stop and when I slid forward I checked and is was gone, and so was the guy wife got a good description and we filed a report and all that, but 800 dollars and all my ID stuff gone.
So today is going to be busy filing with ID theft sites and such. Good thing I didnt catch him or??? I might be in jail.
Although the cop said it sounded like I would have been proctecting my wife and property.:sly I liked him.;Sweet

Last edited:

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever get the distinct feeling that the alphabet soup groups were there to hinder rather
than help or expedite the given cause......Sure seems that way.

SORTIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
75-80% of cars in Europe run on diesel

the problem in the U.S. is that our refineries are all geared to produce mostly GAS out of every barrel of oil.

that's why diesel got so expensive a couple of years ago; demand rose AND the ULSD formulation was introduced. there simply wasn't enough capacity to meet the demand and the re-tooling of equipment cost money

gandalf

Reaction score
Welcome home, Russ. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the trip and had a good time, with the exception of the stolen wallet.

Your point on European diesels is well taken. They are so far ahead of us on diesel development that we're beginning to look silly and foolish. Our alpha soup people should take a look.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Welcome back! :Thumbs Up
I read Top Gear magazine and it seems like the majority of models have at least 1 diesel option, with some having 3.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome home Russ, a lot of us have been keeping the seat warm for you with your fuel injection and turbo side work so you're going to probably have a lot of orders. Sorry to hear about the wallet, but glad the rest of the trip was good. As for the diesels I think the problem is that here in the states the "clean air" agencies have so far only looked at NOx and particulate emissions not so much CO2 and CO, but then maybe the car companies in Europe have found a way to get them all very low.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome home Russ...:D So sorry to learn of some dirtbag ripping you off. Bump me once and I'm giving you the death look.... Twice and your going down.....:eek: I just hate being mauled in a public place. I avoid crowds at all costs. Hopefully this thief will get caught trying to use your stuff.... Tunnel pickpockets are really common "over there"... I guess we kinda really stand out in the crowds. It is kinda strange this creep would target a tall person like you.... Usually they pick on those that are defenceless to them. Had you gotten ahold of this guy...:dunno Well.... I'm sure the bobbies would have taken him into custody with a heartbeat but not much else... Kinda what a bounty hunter turns is when a creep has jumped bail and the agency is out the bond... They tend to have some bumps all over them.... From falling up a flight of stairs...:sly

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome back ;Sweet so, other than the pickpocketing incident -cuss how was it? How badly do you want to go back? :sly :D

As I understand it, diesel in Europe is refined FAR better than here...to the point where EU automakers see U.S. diesel as being dirty enough to damage their fuel systems. I think that's one of the main reasons the new VW TDI took so long to make it over here, but certainly the EPA and especially the CARB -cuss have been infested with radical anti-diesel types. :( I've said it before and I'll say it again...I strongly contend that the American environmentalist movement has gotten terribly far off-track, and the Europeans have a much better idea on how to handle things...

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the train was packed in there like sardines. if there is ever a next attempt I will remove limbs then ask questions later.

gandalf

Reaction score
The guy got your wallet out of your front shorts pocket...and you couldn't tell? :eek:;Really:sly

I just can't respond to that. I'm biting my tong. If I left the comment I started, Russ would be down here looking for me, and offer me a 400 yard headstart while he loads.:eek::shoot::eek:

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the train was packed in there like sardines. if there is ever a next attempt I will remove limbs then ask questions later.
That's some f'ed up chit...sorry for your loss.
For whatever reason I have a sense for that type of deal (pick pockets)...somehow I'd back myself against a wall and look out fur such a scumbag.