Diesel + Hydrogen = WHOooaaa!

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
OK, I told you guys that when I got it finished I'd let you know... Well, it's done and makin' gas, lotsa' gas! I am still breaking in the plates so there are no numbers yet. I'm going to run at least 3 gallons of water through the system before I even attempt measurements of gas production or mileage gains. What I can tell you now with absolute authority is that my N/A 7.3 acts like it had a turbo installed, either that or it's on ****! When we visited Drew (DeepRoots) he mentioned that it sounded a little soft, like the timing was a bit retarded... Now I'm glad it was/is, because the hydrogen/oxygen flame front is SO much faster than diesel that it has the effect of advancing the timing somewhat. Some of the differences I've noticed so far- Lots more power across the entire usable RPM range. RPM's build a lot faster now. No longer necessary to run the powerband for shifting- I have had to retrain myself to short shift now. I can actually gain speed in fifth going up the steep-ass Mathews Bridge, rolling 45 at the base, I can be at 70 at the top and NOT have to downshift. Here is a video I did after the first test drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIqOmFj4Nt0

FordGuy100

Reaction score
What you need to do is a 45-70mph in 5th gear, flat ground vid with the Hydrogen, and without (unhook it). That will be the only way we will know if it works or not.

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First let me say Thank you for posting up a positive input to your initial results. Do you have a link to your design? # of plates, size, wet or dry setup, amp draw across plates, etc. Can't wait to see more of your results. Sounds about right requiring slightly retarded timing when using HHO due to the faster burn rate.

The comment about running 3 gallons through it makes me want to ask. What temperature are you running the water at? From what I understand, high usage of water means too many amps running across the plates which is turning the water to steam. I'm not a pro but have heard that steam intake to the cylinder is not good. If the amperage across each plate is kept down(via more plates or lower catalyst concentration), you'll get less gas but the water will also stay below the steam point which means the water solution lasts a lot longer and you're not getting water vapors in the intake.

I currently have some 304 stainless plate sitting in my garage waiting to get cut up and turned in to a dry generator. Will be a while and will be after my turbo is installed so I won't have a pre vs post turbo comparison. I know the 316 stainless plate is the best but can't afford it right now and a friend had the 304 laying around so I'll give it a shot. I've also read that including a turbo reduces the improvements of the HHO since the diesel combustion is already dramatically improved. We'll see.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I have almost no idea whats going on but it looks pretty cool. Does that system completely replace the need for diesel fuel or is it just adding to it?

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, saw the pictures and that's a serious setup you have there. Will be great to see what kind of amps you're drawing and what the output is.

I have almost no idea whats going on but it looks pretty cool. Does that system completely replace the need for diesel fuel or is it just adding to it?

you can look up HHO on youtube and get an understanding of what's going on. current(from an alternator) is run across stainless steel plates submerged in a water/catalyst solution. The current running through the water between the plates splits the hydrogen and oxygen atoms turning them in to gas form. the hydrogen and oxygen gas is then ported in to the intake of the vehicle, sucked in to the combustion chamber, and increases the burn of the diesel fuel during ignition. The purpose is NOT to replace diesel, but to compliment it for a complete burn.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Just adds to it. The basic principle is if you run a postitive to one metalic object in water, and a negative to another, and give juice to the positive, it will break the hydrogen bonds and the hydrogen will bubble out. I've actually experimented with it, and you could take a lighter and touch the flame to the bubble on the top of the water and it would pop (as it basically catches fire/explodes). His setup is pretty neat. Would be nice to see what kind of hydrogen output it will do (measured in liters per minute).

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like science. There isn't any to back up that hydrogen produced by electrolysis can greatly affect how an engine runs. Gains could more easily be choked up to water/catalyst and steam being "injected" into the incoming air charge.

Having said that i have an open mind so keep testing things! I just don't think even 10 liters per minute of hydrogen can greatly influence 12,420 liters per minute of incoming air (6.9 engine at 1800rpms) let alone 16,060 liters per minute (7.3 at 2200 rpm) but we know that water entering the cylinders can have a big effect.

MORE TESTING!! lol

just watched the youtube vid, and that's pretty damn neeto. I am still skeptical as all hell about hydrogen as a fuel additive, but if any kit could do it. it would be that one lol

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i could have sworn something has already been commercially made:D

Attachments

• mr_fusion_1.jpg
    mr_fusion_1.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 272

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score
Well, I guess I haven't been paying attention. I'm confused. SCAM alert.

If I understand this system, we are using engine power to run an (additional) alternator to produce electricity to break H-O chemical bonds to produce H2 to introduce into the engine to react with O2 which makes H2O to make engine power .... to run an (additional) alternator to produce electricity to break H-O chemical bonds to produce H2 to introduce into the engine to react with O2 which makes H2O to make engine power ....

If this electro-chemical conversion is 100% efficient then all of the extra power produced in the engine is used to make the H2. But since its less than 100% efficient, then we are using the energy in the diesel fuel to make up the difference. So this is just wasting the energy in the diesel fuel.

Or maybe I'm wrong and we have (finally) invented perpetual motion. Or perhaps the water injection is providing some improvement. Or there is some other effect I can't see. Or maybe the laws of physics are different in FL. Someone please enlighten me.

Regards,

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
@ FordGuy100- "-the only way we will know.." Is that the royal 'we', sir? Or do you assume the rest of the board doubts the veracity of my claim? Hhmmm? LOL Just bustin' your beans man, like I said after everything is broken in and settles down there will be REAL documentation. I also belong to an HHO Forum and those guys are really pushing me for numbers now.. Almost makes me wish I hadn't said anything until it was a fait accompli.

@ OB_WAN- No worries on thermal runaway, there is 11,760 sq. in. of wet plate area, the series/parallel design of the unit firmly clamps the voltage at 8V, even when I dial it up to 150A which works out to about 1200W. The accepted wisdom at this time is not to exceed .25W per sq. in. of wet plate area, or 1W per 4 sq. in.... So, 11,760sq. in. divided by 1200W = .102W per sq. in., so I'm cool- no pun intended... Besides, I have two turbulated bubblers in series, the first with 15% vinegar as a neutralizer and the next one is just distilled water.

@ Sycostang67- What OB_WAN said- It makes a more complete fuel burn, cleans up emissions (as if THIS motley crew worried about that:rotflmao), and ends ups improving mileage by virtue of not having to stick your foot into the skinny pedal so far to go the same speed.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Biofarmer,

I cant wait to take a look at that thing when I come up there. Shoot me a pm when about when you plan to leave for the rally. That way I can determine when I should make the trek up to where your at with the engine block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online