Diesel + Hydrogen = WHOooaaa!

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I hate to say it but I agree with Jim X3.

You are generating power with power that you are generating.
I would wager I could make your truck do far more interesting things with far less hardware :)
I also have to bring up the unintended water injection..... I think that idea has some merit.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
BMW is doing some really cool things with ThermoElecrtric . Somehow, they're making electricity out of hot exhaust gases.

Would be great if You could power a HHO system with FREE electricity. (not creating a draw with the alt)

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BMW is doing some really cool things with ThermoElecrtric . Somehow, they're making electricity out of hot exhaust gases.

Would be great if You could power a HHO system with FREE electricity. (not creating a draw with the alt)

MBZ was doing work with small steam engines running off exhaust heat.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i want to see the fireworks show when you hit 88 MPH! DOC! you made a time machine out of a diesel ford?! yes Marty, watch this! :rotflmao

-Jon

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been reading about those 6 stroke motors where one of the strokes is the injection of steam drive down the piston. That would be a pretty neat system to implement using th exhaust heat to create the steam.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
@ Jim- My knee-jerk reaction to you calling me SCAM and being so sarcastic and uninformed on the topic was to lash out. I will not, I will remain civil. Granted, the second alternator detracts from the efficiency of the arrangement. That is something that has been in the back of my mind since the projects inception. It's called experimentation. If the numbers come back and they are not as I anticipate, then I will remove the stock 100A that's there now and put the 150A in its place. As far as the physics of the thing goes and perpetual motion (please...) I don't know. I never really was very good at higher maths and would not even begin to debate with you why the "numbers" say it won't work. I personally know several people that are running systems and enjoying reduced fuel costs. Some of them are even my friends. I don't profess to know why it works, I just know that it does work. I'm at work now, but when I get home I will be more than happy to email you a copy of the JPL's findings on the subject. Maybe you'll believe them. Jim, this is the only time I will respond to you with such restraint, actually I think this is the only time I will respond to you on this board, period.

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score
Biofarmer:

Please know that I wasn't calling you a scammer in my previous post above. You've obviously put a good deal of work into this and I believe that you believe it has promise.

I will admit to total ignorance about this - until I saw this thread I had no idea people were experimenting with this (or that there were HHO fora out there). It would be great if this actually works, but my first reaction was that in my previous post - I don't see how the chemistry and physics support the outcome we are hoping for. (And believe me I'd be happy to reduce the amount of diesel fuel I need to buy). I will look for a link for the JPL paper. There must be some research papers that indicate the viability of this system. (I would expect a test engine in a stand with dyno attached and all inputs and outputs measured would be definitive.)

My apologies for the sarcasm - its as close as I can get to humor. The comment about FL indeed was a low blow. In my defense my brother lives in Florida.

I appreciate your post - I have learned something. So thanks for your participation on the forum, and your experimentation. I would be happy to respond to your other posts in the future. If you don't care to respond to mine I will understand.

Regards,

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about HHO and I think this is awesome, BioFarmer! ;Sweet

I look forward to your results.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Biofarmer for the record i didn't mean to imply anything about your intentions. I have done a lot of research on HHO kits myself. Unfortunately i have just never seen anything more than anecdotal evidence. The properties of hydrogen don't work for being an accelerant since it burns to cold and to fast. The amount of hydrogen is so tiny when compared to air. even at a very high number like 40lpm at 2200rpms with a 7.3 motor the percentage of hydrogen in the cylinder is .0025%. That's is not enough to make any substantial difference.

ok having said all that i am very open to the idea of being wrong here. i just need more than you saying it "feels faster" not because i don't trust you. i am in fact inclined to trust you until you prove i shouldn't. it's because there are a lot of other factors that can affect the motor.

on experiment i would like you to try is adding a filter to the final output of the kit that will remove moisture from the HHO. something even like a string water filter would capture suspended water vapor and test if it is the gas content making the difference.

I truly appreciate the work you put in and the experimenting nature that drives this kind of thing.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh and since i am all about the timing here recently if you can get someone to time that bad boy with a luminosity probe with the kits turned on and off i think that would go a long way towards answering if the hydrogen is affecting combustion. if you come by central va 'd love to see the kit and run the tests with you!!

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For such a renegade outside the box group that thinks an engine can run without spark plugs and get better power and economy, you sure are had any any other ideas that come along. Good work BioFarmer93!

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess I haven't been paying attention. I'm confused. SCAM alert.

If I understand this system, we are using engine power to run an (additional) alternator to produce electricity to break H-O chemical bonds to produce H2 to introduce into the engine to react with O2 which makes H2O to make engine power .... to run an (additional) alternator to produce electricity to break H-O chemical bonds to produce H2 to introduce into the engine to react with O2 which makes H2O to make engine power ....

If this electro-chemical conversion is 100% efficient then all of the extra power produced in the engine is used to make the H2. But since its less than 100% efficient, then we are using the energy in the diesel fuel to make up the difference. So this is just wasting the energy in the diesel fuel.

Or maybe I'm wrong and we have (finally) invented perpetual motion. Or perhaps the water injection is providing some improvement. Or there is some other effect I can't see. Or maybe the laws of physics are different in FL. Someone please enlighten me.

Regards,

Well, of course, the extra energy needed to break up the water is ultimately used to make more water, and energy is conserved and there is an inefficiency in the process. BUT that energy is being redistributed in an interesting way from a steady mundane powering of an alternator into concentrated bursts of engine performance. And in the process the efficiency of diesel combustion can be affected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online