diesel fish/ski

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im thinkin about puttin together a oil burnin boat with a 6.5td, i think it would be a pretty cool project.
the problem is that i dont want to use the stock exhaust setup with the crossover pipe. i would rather go twin turbo and cap the boost off at about 12psi with a air/water intercooler.

who sells twin turbo headers?:dunno

i got a line on some good military humvee engines, do these have the strong blocks with oil cooled pistons?:dunno

should i put in lower comp pistons and raise boost or keep the boost at about 12 psi and use stock pistons?:dunno

the other build items for the 6.5 would be a scat crank, gearvendors timming gears, water injection,mech lift pump not electric. anyother ideas?
im not building the motor for performance just tryin to build a bullet proof wmo burner.

this is the kinda boat im talkin about. you guys have any comments let me hear'em
http://for-sale.yakaz.com/r/?wIqvWcU...+GVyC48nM=

Last edited:

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok-im thinkin now that a 4bt might be a better motor.

any ides how much one weighs?

it makes alot more power then the 6.5 and is pretty reliable to boot add a hx35 turbo and some good injectors and your talkin about a pretty good motor.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.5's are boat anchors, not boat engines. The funnest part of owning a 6.5 is busting out the BIG torch tip and cranking up the bottles to blow through the oil pan and rear conrod/crank throw to facilitate turning the friggin thing over so you can get the flexplate bolts out. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that's with 65K original miles on a "better design" 6.5 bone stock that broke it's crank in 3 places, block, both heads and wasted a 2 day old $1500 turbo.

You can buy marine 4BT's right from your local Cummins dealer in ratings up to 450HP. Yes, I said 450HP for a marine 4BT turnkey. Do that with your 6.5.

They weigh 800 wet.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
...2 day old $1500 turbo...

Running yer light duty engine like a Cummins were ya? ;Sweet smart thinkin there :rotflmao

OP-I considered this a bit, I'll be going the Mercedes OM617 route, both the GM and Mercedes engines are quieter than the dodge, the GM is a bit bigger, but the torque is down lower, so be sure to look into regearing your out drive and perhaps changing your prop, I'm going from a 188hp 302 to a 150hp and similar torque diesel, with the OM616 the power curve is closer, but be ready to build your own adapters...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online