Diesel Down! Fueling Problems!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my way to take my truck in my sig to the coast, truck was properly warmed to temp before driving and as soon as I give it more than 50% throttle it dies. Just dropped $1200 into a new ac system and new tires for this trip, have probably 80 miles on it since then and did a oil change last night maybe 30 miles ago. Still has good fuel preasure so I'm thinking IP took a crap? Just want some thoughts before I start ordering parts:confused:

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if it's running, it's not likely to be an ip. I've only seen them work or not, like a light switch.
w/o more info, my first guess is a fuel restriction that's why it runs good at idle but dies under load. my second guess would be air intrusion.
when you say good fuel pressure, what do you mean? where is the gauge located? it needs to be right before the ip to get a good reading.
also there is (should be) an inlet screen on the ip, I believe.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked fuel pressure just before the IP past the filters and pump, where would the inlet screen be located on IP?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be rare that the IP screen is dirty/plugged. When was the filter changed?

as I give it more than 50% throttle it dies
That's lack of fuel, IP can't pump it if there is none. Engine will usually speed up just before that if there is air intrusion.

If you can shut it off quickly when it does that, then check the fuel level in the filter, might show ya something.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might want to check the fuel pump, if it has sprung a leak in the diaphram, then it would leak into crankcase, resulting in fuel being diverted from the IP at RPMS...

Don't want to thin the oil out, seizes bearings and scores cylinder walls and might even break a piston skirt or two... If you let it get that bad...

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Let's don't get crazy yet. If you figure out what the most likely culprit is, you can avoid a lot of wasted time and money. Did it run fine before the A/C stuff was done? When the engine quits (drivers die), does it restart easily, or have a lot of cranking/time involved? Have you replaced the fuel filter lately (less than 15,000 miles)? Have you looked at the hard (injector) lines to see if there is any damage?

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's don't get crazy yet. If you figure out what the most likely culprit is, you can avoid a lot of wasted time and money. Did it run fine before the A/C stuff was done? When the engine quits (drivers die), does it restart easily, or have a lot of cranking/time involved? Have you replaced the fuel filter lately (less than 15,000 miles)? Have you looked at the hard (injector) lines to see if there is any damage?
Agreed...

Checking fuel pump for internal leaks would require checking fresh oil change for climbing levels on dipstick and passing the smell test... Easy peasy... ;Sweet

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem. It ended up being the rubber fuel line going to the pump. It was old, and would suck itself shut close to half throttle.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my sig I have the e pump listed but forgot to mention that the mech pump was deleted so no problem there, I have huge flow through my dual 12" filters but they are probably over 15,000 miles old so I'll be replacing them then looking into other possibilities, thank you all for the help!

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a filter before the e-pump? Could be clogged. Been there
I use the semi-transparent type to see trash.

Rick

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He maxed out his IP with the pump stroke screw... That masks problems with the IP's ability to pump the same cc's per revolution...

As a result of the masking, the usual symptoms of IP wear wouldn't be evident or noticed until right up to the point when heat soak and inability to pump enough cc's at higher rpms was undeniably observable... Right before failure...

Maybe Agnem the IP man can chime in on this, I may be completely wrong...

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He maxed out his IP with the pump stroke screw... That masks problems with the IP's ability to pump the same cc's per revolution...

As a result of the masking, the usual symptoms of IP wear wouldn't be evident or noticed until right up to the point when heat soak and inability to pump enough cc's at higher rpms was undeniably observable... Right before failure...

Maybe Agnem the IP man can chime in on this, I may be completely wrong...

@Agnem

This could be but I havent adjusted the pump in two years but I'm not an expert on the inner workings of our IPs, really hope agnem could help us out on this one. I'm really puzzled now because I noticed while driving the truck home from work today that I can give it all the throttle in the world but keep it under 2K rpms and its completly happy... Changed the filters when I got home and still have the same problem with more than 50% throttle above 2K causing it to die... Doesnt surge die like it would if it was air intrusion and I have clear fuel lines to check for that anyways... But when it does die it kinda diesels around 200 rpms while blowing white smoke until I hold the throttle down and it dies, then I start it again without an evidence that I ever had a problem in the first place :dunno

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
@Agnem

This could be but I havent adjusted the pump in two years but I'm not an expert on the inner workings of our IPs, really hope agnem could help us out on this one. I'm really puzzled now because I noticed while driving the truck home from work today that I can give it all the throttle in the world but keep it under 2K rpms and its completly happy... Changed the filters when I got home and still have the same problem with more than 50% throttle above 2K causing it to die... Doesnt surge die like it would if it was air intrusion and I have clear fuel lines to check for that anyways... But when it does die it kinda diesels around 200 rpms while blowing white smoke until I hold the throttle down and it dies, then I start it again without an evidence that I ever had a problem in the first place :dunno

That seems to lend credit to the collapsed or maybe cracked rubber hose scenario. If it is cracked, it will suck air and the engine quits. If it collapses, it will restrict flow and the engine will not accelerate. Check your upstream rubber hoses and olives if you haven't already.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the hoses are fairly new and don't show any sign of flexing shut and no air in the lines as I mentioned before, thanks for the advice though I'd like to try as many as the small fixes before dropping the 1,200 on a set of injectors and an IP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online