Did you know that our valve covers are double layer steel

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been working on a bypass filter using an Amsoil filter. I was going to plumb the return to a port that is on the front of the head. It is a allen plug that was recommended by CDX825, but I have A/C brackets in the way that prevent a 90 degree fitting from going in there. I also have a road draft tube coming from the oil fill, so I didn't want to have the return oil blowing out through the RDT.

So I decided to go to the valve cover. I removed the cover and drilled the hole last night and didn't notice that the valve cover was two layers. I drilled in one of the raised bosses and cleaned it well. I bought a steel weld on -6 AN fitting and took it to a friend who has TIG welder to weld it on. He started welding it and there was oil between the layers and it blew through and made a mess. He was able to seal it up, but it doesn't look pretty. I think it is going to work, but I will plug the fitting and fill it with brake kleen and see if it leaks.

I didn't know why these valve covers are two layers and wonder why. If you look at the edge of the cover you can definitely see two layers. Is it for noise or for strength? I wouldn't think noise, because these engines are so damn loud as it is.

I will post pictures tomorrow as I left my camera at the in-laws.

Archie

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they're designed to muffle internal engine noise. ever pulled the oil filler cap while the motor is running? hear the gear noise? the valvetrain has a whole bunch of noises too the valve cover is muffling.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
they're designed to muffle internal engine noise. ever pulled the oil filler cap while the motor is running? hear the gear noise? the valvetrain has a whole bunch of noises too the valve cover is muffling.

X2

A guy on another forum sprayed his valve covers with a thick coat of bedliner, deadened the sound pretty good.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score

Thank goodness they do cuz with that cap off, some engines will scare the **** out of ya with all the noises they can make.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the CDR is in the valve cover the cover is doubled layered or baffeled as they say, so the CDR doesn't suck up the oil just like the valley pan is baffled where the CDR goes in. Don't know if this is true of all IDI's, but that is what I've seen on them.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they are actually 2 layers AND baffled for the cdr.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Ooooo I believe this requires pics. :thumbsup:
attachment.php

see here...

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that is carnage. What did it take to get that engine back into service? It doesn't even look like the push rod is bent.

Archie

Last edited: