did I stop in time

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
:sly pun intended but I heard some growling from the brakes so I opened it up and found one pad was clear down to the metal and the rotors were all cracked with a couple pretty big cracks that went all the way thru the rotorcookoo The brake pads also had some cracks and I'm just wondering if the one pad didn't fail and the material all broke off since it was all gone while the rest were probably still 50%. Everything seems to work fine on that side so nothing seems to be sticking but I'll keep an eye on them for a while to make sure I don't have any other issues. I was also reminded why I hate working on my own equipment caues it seems once you start you just keep finding more and more that need replaced but while I was working on the brakes I noticed my one ball joint on the tie rod end is almost completely gone so now that I can stop again I'm working on the steering

Attachments

• IMG_20110601_145940.jpg
    IMG_20110601_145940.jpg
    767 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20110601_145931.jpg
    IMG_20110601_145931.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20110602_153352.jpg
    IMG_20110602_153352.jpg
    797.5 KB · Views: 29

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure you adjust up the rear brakes now and then. when they get out of adj that is when it cooks the fronts.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Make sure you adjust up the rear brakes now and then. when they get out of adj that is when it cooks the fronts.

yep guilty as charged cookoo I adjusted them up while I had it up and I knew that they needed done for awhile but just kept putting it off and it came back to bite me so I guess now I'll check them and adjust as nescesary when I put it up to change the oil;Sweet

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the caliper was stuck on that side. Wonder how Red hot that rotor got.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang Aric!:eek: That's scary buddy. At least you found it before a catastrophic failure. That reminds me....... I need to adjust the rear brakes on the crew cab.:D

Heath

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me in Reno a while back, rotor was cherry red hot and smelled like grandma's oven on the clean cycle...

The brake discs on the wind turbines I worked on would get cracks like that, then explode shortly thereafter. Scary to say the least.

Good thing you caught it! ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be inclined to do the wheel bearings too.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
wheel bearings and seals all looked good in fact they were packed with a blue grease and it was still blue. I was wondering about a stuck caliper but they seemed fine when I pushed them in to put the new pads on but I'm gonna keep an eye on them anyway but the rotor that was cracked the worse was not on the side that the brake pad was missing and I never smelled brakes or felt like one was sticking. I think the reason the rotors were cracked so bad was due mostly to my lack of brake maintenance on the rears and that this truck is always loaded with dirt or wood or pulling a trailer hauling my equipment

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I would replace ALL the brake hoses. They can make the caliper stick. And also If you can get more than 5 clicks out of your parking brake then you either need to fix the cables or adjust the rear shoes. Pull the tire, snug the shoes up til they are dragging on the drum then back them off a click or two. And then upon doing the front, use antisieze like you are frosting a cake... coat everything. except the rotors obviously

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Odd looking dually adapter.

The dually adapters don't look like that at all on my motorhome.

They are the originals from 1987, both rotor and adapter.

X2 on repacking the bearings while your there! I did mine cause I had to do front brakes. Just pads and Calipers. Although I repack my bearings every 3 years.

You must be registered for see images attach

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Odd looking dually adapter.

The dually adapters don't look like that at all on my motorhome.

They are the originals from 1987, both rotor and adapter.

X2 on repacking the bearings while your there! I did mine cause I had to do front brakes. Just pads and Calipers. Although I repack my bearings every 3 years.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mines a cab and chassis 4x4 and I repacked everything

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
My adapters can be removed, they are bolted from the inside closer to the middle. But you can't remove 'em and use those studs to convert to 2wd like you can with old Dodges.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4x4 dually adapters come in two different flaovrs. OEM and aftermarket. 1st pic is OEM. 2nd pic is aftermarket.

Attachments

• SL373142.JPG
    SL373142.JPG
    863.8 KB · Views: 6
  • SL373137.JPG
    SL373137.JPG
    863 KB · Views: 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle