Did I just ruin my tranny?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
In a T19 you should be able to just pull the top plate off and it'll take some effort to do, but you should be able to get it back together from just removing the top plate and reaching inside of it. If you have any little ones that are old enough to understand it might not be a bad idea to tell them exactly what you need done and have them put their little hands down in there to do it. My dad had my brother and I do stuff like this all the time when we were younger. Anything he couldn't fit his own hand into he had us do it. We thought it was fun as hell just getting to help dad.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where in oregon are you. it is an easy fix.

Skidmark

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input/ideas. My kids are too young to have them help, but luckily i have small hands. typ4, i'm in eugene. my wifes from newberg though!

Skidmark

Reaction score
I went fishin in my tranny with my telescoping rod and caught a clip! Opened her up on top and got it all ready to put back together but I will need a new clip. Are these a common thing at a hardware store or do I need to go to a fastener shop or some other type store?

Also, I just want to say that you guys are awesome!!! I was seriously ready to part out my truck. It has been nothing but trouble since I bought it last week. First the slave cylinder fell off the bell housing while I was driving it and had to get it back home without a clutch, then the starter took a dump and had to get it towed back home, and then this. I guess thats why it only cost a few hundred bucks! Anyway, thanks again, you all saved me from getting rid of it!

Attachments

• found!.JPG
    found!.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 5
  • opened up.JPG
    opened up.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 6
  • clip.JPG
    clip.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 5

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
That is the washer, it is pretty flexible, right? There should still be an e-clip that went behind it. It might be broken in half though as it was forced off. The washer looks like it is in good enough condition to re-use.

Skidmark

Reaction score
its hard to tell but i think that is the e clip. the center is bent out from the force of unscrewing it. are you certain that there is a washer as well?

Skidmark

Reaction score
I just did this same thing a couple months ago LOL
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29791
mine had 2 c-clips use a telemagnet and get them out.
fill the trans fluid while you have the cover off.
its a learning process

wow, sounds like this is not uncommon. some other guy on your thread said it happened to him as well. they should have a little warning sign engraved on that bolt. by the way, is there a specific type of gasket sealer i should use for the cover?

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
yes, I am certain there are/should be 2 clips... just rebuilt mine from the ground up and have a pretty good idea of the inner workings of the T19.

Hylomar works good as a sealant. Get a new gasket.

Why should there be a warning? If people do not know what they are doing, they should not be undoing and forcing out random bolts. There are enough damn warning labels out there already. You cannot idiot-proof the world with warnings.

Skidmark

Reaction score
i was mostly joking about the warning thing, it was a dumb move to pull that out, but i am surprised so many people have done the same thing. also, i didn't mean to knock your knowledge of the transmission, i just wanted to know if I needed to look for another clip. as for the gasket, would i ask for an 86 ford t19 transmission gasket? seems like an obscure part.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
yeah... you might have to call some drive- train folks but they are definitely out there. You might have to buy a "gasket kit" since they typically will not sell just the top one but the whole kit should be around $20 shipped. Also I THINK all t19s share the same pattern for the top cover but saying it is for a Ford will not hurt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle