Did I just ruin my tranny?

Skidmark

Reaction score
I might have just won the dumbest mechanic award. I was under my 86 working on the starter motor when I noticed some fluid leaking out my 4 speed. Since I already had my tools I decided to check and see if the fluid was low, so I started unscrewing what I thought was the filler hole on the transmission. I just about had it out when I felt a bit of resistance, then a noise like something broke free inside, then some more metallic clinking noise and the bolt came out. The bolt had a groove on the end of it, and I immediately realized it wasn't the fill plug. Seems obvious now, but I was more thinking about my starter when I was doing it. Well, I just about threw up thinking about how I likely wrecked my tranny. I was hoping someone here might know what that bolt was and what kind of damage I just did to it. The bolt was located on the drivers side, toward the top and about the middle of the tranny. I still can't believe I did that. Any info appreciated!

Attachments

• bolt.JPG
    bolt.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 6
  • tranny.JPG
    tranny.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
bolt on bell housing?... maybe clutch related. Sounds like you might have removed the pivot and the clutch fork fell? should just be a matter of reassembly... does involve you removing the tranny though.

Skidmark

Reaction score
by bell housing i meant to say the body of the transmission. it seems more serious than the clutch. i added a couple pictures, and yes i was able to start it but now I don't want to drive it.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
that would be your reverse shifter lever pivot/bolt... an unlucky loss. There was an e-clip and a washer at the end and your reverse arm in between. means dropping tranny and reassembling. Most damage done is likely just the e-clip and washer.

What was keeping it from starting?

Skidmark

Reaction score
how hard would it be to open up and put it back together, I've never opened a transmission before and it's not something i want to get into and realize I can't finish myself. at this point, i am thinking of parting it.

the starter was okay, but once I got it off I found that he wire running from the solenoid to the motor was hanging by about 2 strands of copper. I opened it up and found that most of the components were pretty worn.

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What transmission is this??

EDIT: looks like a stock T19. I was thrown off by the signature saying a 5 speed.

Have a look at this:
You must be registered for see images

Since this is a toploader transmission you should have no problem getting those parts back together. Peel the carpeting back and remove the transmission cover panel from the floor. Once thats off, you can take the top cover off the transmission and reach inside to put the parts back together. I don't think you will have to drop the transmission.

No need to think about parting out just yet, but DO NOT attempt to run or move the truck until those internal parts are back in place.

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, bad timing for my lengthy editLOL, but have a look at what I showed you and see what you think. The part that fell off inside is #33 on this picture. The bolt is #60. I think this is an easy fix.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Any chance he can reach it through that PTO cover or is he going to have to go in through the top?

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
It is very doable. I just rebuilt mine from the ground-up. Once the tranny is out, you need to take the top off and I think that you will have to remove the top shaft to get that reverse arm back together. Or you can buy my rebuilt one. PM me if you are interested.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Any chance he can reach it through that PTO cover or is he going to have to go in through the top?

Through the PTO cover is just about impossible because you would have to go around a sharp corner. To get my arm back together it actually took me about 5 tries just because I kept dropping parts.

On second thought... you might not have to pull the top shaft.

Skidmark

Reaction score
thats awesome, thanks so much, i will definately try to fix it, do you have a larger copy of that picture, its a little hard to see. if not i will make due. thanks and i will let you know what i find out. by the way, where about on the floor should i pull the carpet back, its an extended cab, would it be under the seat?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Counter shaft bolt, I don't know on that specific tranny but I would think You'll have to open it up to put it back right and by no means try to drive it.