did anyone here this

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
I have been hearing people say that the oil pans are rusting out from the inside out. Ford was making hte customers pay for the change at first but now they ae covering it under a warrenty type deal:frustrate

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
I have not heard about that, but with all the oil splashing around in the pan I would think everything would have a nice coating of oil and rusting from the inside out would never be a problem.

Ggg

Reaction score
They have had a problem with the oil pans rusting out from the outside in. Not the other way. But it is mostly in places where salt is used on the roads in the winter. Mine needs replacement too. Last I heard Ford only has a TSB repair for it, consisting of scraping and wire brushing then applying a coat of "special" anti-corrosion paint. No new oil pan that I have heard of. In fact I am looking for an aftermarket oil pan. So if anybody knows of one let me know.

Last edited:

Dockboy

Reaction score
My Brother, who lives in VT and manages a waste removal company, was just telling me the other day that a 450 they have had a rusted out oil pan and it had to be replaced. I told him they would have to pull the motor. He said "I found that out! Couldn't believe it!!"

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ggg
They have had a problem with the oil pans rusting out from the outside in. Not the other way. But it is mostly in places where salt is used on the roads in the winter. Mine needs replacement too. Last I heard Ford only has a TSB repair for it, consisting of scraping and wire brushing then applying a coat of "special" anti-corrosion paint. No new oil pan that I have heard of. In fact I am looking for an aftermarket pan. So if anybody knows of one let me know.

Now that I could see happening.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-cuss :frustrate :***: Dunno why I was thinking tranny pans :sorry:

Mike

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Fortunately mine is OK. It "lived" in Nevada before I bought it and now it's in California.

JamesF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a mechanic, so this may be a stupid question, but............

Can you put a dry sump oil system in place of the stock system? Wouldn't this allow for the removal of the oil pan without removing the engine?

Ggg

Reaction score
James, not a dumb question at all. I have contemplated it myself, but I can't find a dry sump system to fit our engines. It would be rather costly too about $2500 for the oil reservoir, pan, windage tray, plumbing, and oil pump. Either way you will still need to pull the engine to remove the old pan, and clean and seal the new pan in place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70