Did '99 Federal powerstrokes have cats?

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm working on a friends truck which is acting like the epbv or warm up valve is sticking shut... but the valve is working properly.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced cat plugging or even a factory muffler falling apart internally and causing high back pressure.

I'm unfamiliar with the 99 exhaust system, so I'm not sure what to look for.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have you unplugged the ebpv yet if it has one and tried it?pull the downpipe and make sure the valve aint closed.the cats can get plugged.small holes to get big chunks of soot through

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who knows:dunno. But I was getting ready to do a kitty delete on a 2000 manual, boy that was easy, it didn't have one;Sweet

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well - it's an early '99- and an auto - and there's a big can in front of the muffler - is that 3.5" pipe?

The doggone thing just will not run right and I'm about to throw in the towel.

I've drained the old stale fuel (truck sat two years) and put in fresh.
Changed the fuel filter
Changed the oil and filter
Checked the air filter
It passes an injector buzz test and all the KOEO tests
It will not run well enough to pass a cylinder contribution test
I replaced the IPR
The MAP, ICP, IPR, BARO etc outputs all look reasonable
The flow out the tail pipe seems strong enough to make me think the cat is not plugged
It makes almost no smoke - even after a cold start...

Yet - it sounds like it is missing on at least one cylinder at idle, it has almost no power off idle, and you pretty much have to drive it two footed to keep it from stalling.

I don't want to put a set of injectors in it just because I suspect that's what is wrong with it - I don't want to spend his money like that and end up wrong.

The thing is not throwing any codes and we just installed the most up to date calibration my friend could find....

I'm about ready to blow this thing up.

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CPS seems fine - it runs - the tach moves on while cranking with the starter.

I put a full bottle of the silver power service stuff in as soon as I started working on the truck.

Now it has about 4 gallons of fresh diesel in the tank.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what about the UVC harness?

it passed a buzz test so its not the UVCs.

you are gonna have to keep it running long enough to do a CCT.you can use a resistor in the EOT sensor to trick the ecm into thinking its warmed up enough to run the test.i forget what value resistor.

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the CCT will stop if there is any throttle pedal movement - so I don't know how to get through the test without using the throttle to keep it from stalling.

Just to clarify - The buzz test - tests the electrical side of the injector.... it doesn't necessarily mean that the injectors are working properly from an oil pressure, fuel pressure, or spray pattern point of view (or mean that the o-rings are sealing properly)

Correct?

I know I can get a killer set of injectors from Swamp or Beans, but who can simply tell me these 6 are OK - just need o-rings, these 2 are junk and need a total rebuild?

Last edited: