Denso? Mitsubishi? Where Do I Start?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you don't want your mitsu starter, I'll pay the ship for it :D
mitsu and ND starters are gear reduction starters. only ACdelco is the direct drive starter.
mitsu will take abuse like severe voltage and amp drops where a ND will burn up. basically if you have a numbskull driver who thinks they can get a 6.9/7.3 started by running start rpms below 300, you want a mitsu. if you have bad teeth on you flywheel, a ND starter is much more tolerant of rotten flywheel teeth. why? early mitsu starters have a nosecone that supports the front end of the starter bendix drive. later PSD mitsu's and ND's don't have a front support so the gear can "walk" a little to be compatible with bad flywheel teeth.
hope this helps.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
autozone sells reman oem Mitsubishi starters with lifetime warranty.this is what im running in chip truck.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Hmmm. Interesting. My flex plate has good teeth, and I'm the only intended driver. :D I've spent many years drivin' these engines, and so far I haven't broken one yet. ;Sweet

Crimped-on plastic terminal-end on solenoid loose enough to be moved. That alone tells me the unit's old and kinda beat-up.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
My starter has to be "bumped" (put in gear and rolled) to start sometimes. Otherwise you get a horrible grinding sound

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What comes on my 6.9?
from the assembly plant it would have been a delco starter. but i seriously doubt it is still there. i've only seen one truck in all the years I've bought and sold these trucks with a delco starter still in it.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can i tell without taking the starter out? My truck only had 59.5k on it when i bought it. Now shows 81k and i have not changed the starter yet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can i tell without taking the starter out? My truck only had 59.5k on it when i bought it. Now shows 81k and i have not changed the starter yet
get underneath and take a pic of it. post it here and I can tell you which one of the three it will be.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
if you don't want your mitsu starter, I'll pay the ship for it :D
mitsu and ND starters are gear reduction starters. only ACdelco is the direct drive starter.
mitsu will take abuse like severe voltage and amp drops where a ND will burn up. basically if you have a numbskull driver who thinks they can get a 6.9/7.3 started by running start rpms below 300, you want a mitsu. if you have bad teeth on you flywheel, a ND starter is much more tolerant of rotten flywheel teeth. why? early mitsu starters have a nosecone that supports the front end of the starter bendix drive. later PSD mitsu's and ND's don't have a front support so the gear can "walk" a little to be compatible with bad flywheel teeth.
hope this helps.

Bosch also makes a direct drive. I have one on my 84 at the moment. its done well.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a ND (i think) from powermaster. That with freshly charged batteries was enough to start the old engine without glowplugs! Works great on new engine too

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a FWIW, but I had read that the Delco was only used on the first year IDI, in '84 they upgraded to the gear reduction.
Both my truck and my old van (both 1984 MY) had direct-drive starters when I acquired them...I don't know if they were original or not, although I want to say the van's starter had an Exide sticker on it. They didn't last very long :shocked: I think I replaced both of them within a year of acquiring the vehicle...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online