Defective oil filter.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Someone in the forum put the blue on but I believe it won't work with my axle. Which is a Dana 50ttb. Would be awesome if so as the blue one is better
Yeah, might work for a 2WD truck. I might give it a shot on my superduty. Exhaust pipe is still pretty close to it though.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a case of 11 Donaldson oil filters on Ebay for $75 that I just bought.
There's another seller also with a case of 11 asking $100 obo. Offer him $75?
Both listings are almost 2 years old.
These cross-reference to the Motorcraft FL784.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Maybe Wix has gone downhill? Similar to Royal Purple? Wix was purchased by Mann-Hummel about 4 years ago although I dont know that that would result in a product quality loss considering Mann is a very well regarded filter company.

I checked on the filter positioning in my superduty and I seriously doubt a filter larger than the motorcraft FL1995 would fit. The end of that filter is very close to the forward cross member and the big donaldson is supposedly quite a bit longer.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Maybe Wix has gone downhill? Similar to Royal Purple? Wix was purchased by Mann-Hummel about 4 years ago although I dont know that that would result in a product quality loss considering Mann is a very well regarded filter company.

By and large, that's how big corporations work. The goal of reducing cost of production is always on the mind. Cost of production goes down = quality goes down, while at the same time; price stays the same = profits go up.

Or alternatively, which has been going on in the US for about 40-50 years, quality goes down to keep the price down because wages/income haven't kept up with inflation properly, so it artificially props up the US standard of living by always moving manufacturing to poorer and poorer countries with cheaper wages, so profits stay very high, quality stays roughly the same and price doesn't go up much.

First it was Japan (50s-60s), but once Japan got too rich (higher wages), the US corporations fled to Hong Kong/China where it has been there largely since. But there's lots of other Asian, Middle Eastern, and South American countries too.

And it's biting US citizens in the butt now. And it's only going to get worse, I'm sorry to say.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
There is a lot more to it than that.

Investors (Largely American’s) push companies to increase profits. So yes companies are working to make high investor expectations happen that benefit all investors in the US. Those who do not have a government job want their 401ks to make money not loose money. So like a government union employee they will too have enough to retire on.

Americans have spoke loud and clear with their wallets, cheaper is better and they widely do not care about buy American. (And good luck trying to, the 90% who do not care have made it a simple decision for companies to move most everything overseas or buy their parts and supplies overseas.) So your Ford truck is made up of probably 80% or more foreign made parts. So made “Made in America” (More like assembled in America) with foreign made parts.

Lastly the government continues to be just as responsible for rising prices and increased inflation. The government is all about the money. Printing more money, raising taxes, costly business regulations coming out yearly, run by self serving unions who demand automatic pay raises, huge retirements they no longer can afford or sustain (3-4 people getting paid for 1 job. 1 started working last week and 2 and potentially 3 on government fully paid or largely subsided retirement and full medical.), they want corporations and you to pay those retirements. Adding to the costs making companies responsible for the personal actions of employees (What a joke!) which forces companies to have huge HR teams and expensive liability insurance, making companies store tax documents for 7 years, oh yes shutting down America and causing many companies and those investors too lose money. They are not ok with you paying say 4% property tax for life on the cost of your home, no they want your tax to go up ever few years. They find new taxes to charge daily. Rent a car in San Fran they charge you $10 TRN tax. WhatTF is a TRN tax You ask. Well I did too, it’s a Train tax to ride the crappy little shuttle train for 5 minutes because they don’t want to give up those $30 day parking spots in front of the terminal and make it easy to rent a car. BTW the Hertz bus that did this prior to the city forcing it to be discontinued was free! (No BS BUS tax.)

The list goes on and on but if you ever worked as a corporate exec, an independent contractor, or owned a company, you know first hand how the government in the last 30 years has made companies charge 30-60% more to cover all the costs and bills from the above and then some. It killed tens of thousands of businesses along its path that can’t operate on huge profits no needed to pay all that overhead. That means every member on this site is paying at least 30% more at the store, at the pump, online, and for services.

Get ready for “Buy overseas“ then people will just pay for shipping, tax, and duty. The outcome of that will give you something to noodle on.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 filters does not make the whole company bad. i would their failure rate is in the 5% or less range.
Now the QC might be the problem

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 filters does not make the whole company bad. i would their failure rate is in the 5% or less range.
Now the QC might be the problem
100% agree.

Plus if the defects that made it through QC don't get reported back to the company (i.e. the filters mentioned in this thread) they aren't going to show up on any of their PPM metrics.

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually try to keep two filters on hand so just in case something is messed up with one filter I have a spare. I've had good luck with my local Walmart Motorcraft FL-1995. When they stock them they only usually have one on the shelf so I buy them up for my stock. They are still pretty cheap. They also have Fram but they charge $15 for those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86