Dead starter? Or gremlins

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always cranked like a champ, has 2 new batteries , 850cca i believe. Yesterday morning it was cranking too slow to fire the engine, i boosted it and it seemed to help, and it fired up. later in the day i went to start it, starter turned over once and thats it. No it just clicks, tried chatmrging it with a boost for 5 mins, nothing. Brand new fender solenoid.

Any ideas?

sassyrel

Reaction score
Always cranked like a champ, has 2 new batteries , 850cca i believe. Yesterday morning it was cranking too slow to fire the engine, i boosted it and it seemed to help, and it fired up. later in the day i went to start it, starter turned over once and thats it. No it just clicks, tried chatmrging it with a boost for 5 mins, nothing. Brand new fender solenoid.

Any ideas?

go have the batts tested...sounds like one or both are dying

Reaction score
If the batteries are truly new- and matching- and all your cables, terminals and grounds are good, starter would be my guess as well.

I had a starter fail on me in similar fashion last year. Starting speed got slower and slower, boost would help. It never fully stopped, and of course the starter was a month old, so I did plenty of other testing/diag/fixing first. :rolleyes:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I trickle charged both batteries indovidually, cleaned All terminsals. Didnt touch the actual starter. Didnt try load testing the batteries but they are only a few months old. Everythig worked fine, then didnt drive the truck for 2 days, then this happened. Now it only gives a small quarter turn of the starter before it starts clicking again.

Any special steps to taking the starter out?
Can i bench test it at home, or can i get local part store to check if its good?i

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going to have the batteries tested first as thats the easiest/cheapest. I highly doubt both are that bad that tey both dont hold a charge Under load

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
If one of the batteries is weak it will pull the other one down. Btdt. you cleaned the terminals but how does the cable look right after the terminal? They can get corrosion in the cable and even with clean terminals it will give you fits.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin