DB2 manual fuel cut off and air starter?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have heard some discussion about a manual fuel shutoff but not of the air starter.... Sounds like your thinking ahead for a dooms day machine.... Al these idi motors really need to run is a manual fuel shutoff valve... Then a down hill bump start gets them running without any electrical needs....:sly

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I heard that there was a manual cutoff on the industral apps. Air starter? I don't think so...why would you want that anyway??

-Jon

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You can always put a manual shutoff in the feed line and run a lever or pull knob up through the floor by the drivers seat. They do make a shutoff plate to seal off intake air to prevent runaways for diesels in oilfield service that get a belly full of fumes.
As far as air starters, it would cost you more than you probably paid for the truck. I looked into that a few years ago. Oddly enough if you had a 300 6 cyl gasser , air starters are pretty common and can be had for between 800-$1500 but for one of these things, there's only one place that has one that can pe pressed into service and by the time you have all the air solenoids , switches, etc to put it into service, you'd be looking at around $4500, that's assuming that you already have an onboard air system with a very large storage tank

zrexryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just trying to find out if there was a way to run it with no electrical means. Maybe just a BIG hand crank like the old willysLOL

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found an on-line copy of a Stanadyne DB-2 pump manual a while back, and it definitely referenced a cable-type shutdown option for some pumps used on other applications.

Not sure how widely they're found or where you might get one, or how readily that sub-assembly would go on a pump without digging too deep into the delicate parts.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just trying to find out if there was a way to run it with no electrical means. Maybe just a BIG hand crank like the old willysLOL

Bolt a spacer onto the outside of a rear wheel and bolt a second tire-less wheel onto that spacer.

Raise that wheel clear of the ground.

Wrap several turns of a rope around the empty wheel.

With transmission in direct, and fuel and key ON, jerk the rope.

If you don't have enough strength to pull the rope quick enough, hook it to a double-tree, give the mules a slap, and stand back. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found an on-line copy of a Stanadyne DB-2 pump manual a while back, and it definitely referenced a cable-type shutdown option for some pumps used on other applications.

Not sure how widely they're found or where you might get one, or how readily that sub-assembly would go on a pump without digging too deep into the delicate parts.

That is one of my favorite attributes of the Bosch pumps found on the Cummins, they come straight from the factory with BOTH, an electric fuel-solenoid, and a manual kill-lever.

Myself and several of the Cummins guys have "gutted" the electric solenoid, thus rendering it only a plug for the hole it screws in, and installed a locking kill-cable in the cab, big truck fashion. ;Sweet

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bolt a spacer onto the outside of a rear wheel and bolt a second tire-less wheel onto that spacer.

Raise that wheel clear of the ground.

Wrap several turns of a rope around the empty wheel.

With transmission in direct, and fuel and key ON, jerk the rope.

If you don't have enough strength to pull the rope quick enough, hook it to a double-tree, give the mules a slap, and stand back. ;Sweet

WOW!!! They had winches for recovery way back when that were pretty close to what you described.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard some discussion about a manual fuel shutoff but not of the air starter.... Sounds like your thinking ahead for a dooms day machine.... Al these idi motors really need to run is a manual fuel shutoff valve... Then a down hill bump start gets them running without any electrical needs....:sly

These would be pretty cool, the air starter sounds pretty sweet when you use one. And I've been toying with the idea of using an old pump I have and figuring out a way to run a cable into it with it still being sealed and not leaking.

sassyrel

Reaction score
the top cap,,of the inj pump--is where the shutoff is located..that being said--that same top cap--has been used on farm tractors--for YEARS!!!! soooooooo,go to a good inj pump shop--replace your cap,,and get the shutoff cable from a tractor--bingo!!!

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
WOW!!! They had winches for recovery way back when that were pretty close to what you described.

My dad showed me how to use a cable between the rear wheels of a 1937 chevy dual wheeled 1 1/2 to to get an old cat 22 out of the mud. I can't tell you how long ago that was but I was 14 or 15 years old then. :D

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of Detroit engines that use air starters... trust me. You don't want one. The air starter requires a HUGE air tank to run it, you get one shot [at best two] at cranking. Then, when it doesn't start, you have to refill the air tank. Drag out the engine driven air compressor, pump air for 40 minutes to fill the air tank, then 40 seconds of cranking [if you are lucky]. A real pain in the ass. Then, when the air starter fails you get to find parts and rebuild it... you think electric starters are expensive?.... try 1500 bucks for an air starter rebuild. [same $1500 will buy you a set of group 31 batteries and a NEW electric starter with all the conversion equipment]

Suggest you hook the said mules to a long rope and pull the truck to start it every time.... after you feed the mules every day for a year, you will still be time and effort ahead.

zrexryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the manual fuel shut off on the web, also found several air starters. Does anyone know is sae the IDI's starter?