Dana 50 out....Dand 60 in.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Ok, I am going to put this....
You must be registered for see images attach

Underneath this.....
You must be registered for see images attach

It should be a pretty straight forward swap. Seeing as my truck is already a 4x4, the D50 stuff should all unbolt (yea, I know...not as easy as it sounds) and the D60 stuff should all bolt in.

I am putting the F350 front springs, track bar, all the steering gear is there, front drive shaft, rear lift blocks (to balance out the height difference) and I have to shim the rear drive shaft down to match the now 2 inch taller rear axle.

My front flex hoses look like they are PLENTY long to reach, and it looks like the rear flex hose will do the job as well.

I will try and take as many pics as possible, and with the best detail for anyone who might attempt this in the future.

Am I missing anything?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need to do anything to the rear driveshaft. I just put the 350 blocks in mine a few days ago. Without them the truck sat perfectly level but would sag a lot if a heavy trailer was put on it. The 350 blocks went in and raised the rear up about 2 more inces and it looks like it should again. The only time I have ever seen having to shim the rear drive shaft was when a truck was lifted more than 6 inches.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
LOL...everytime I would go to sleep I would envision an F250 to F350 conversion!

Naw, my safety inspection is expired soon, and I know I need a ball joint in the D50....why spend the money doing that when I have a D60 just screaming from the sidelines to be put into play!!

Is there a major difference between an F350 and F350's frames? Mainly the stregnth and GVWR. Should I register it as an F350 next time my tags expire?

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I've been looking for a D60 down here, everyone here who's got 'em knows what they are worth... I don't have the $1-grand to shell out on one now, but I want to change it over!

My front end is totally worn out, pivot bushings,tie rod ends, leaf spring bushings... etc,etc,etc.

Hopefully I can track down a D60 sometime this spring or summer.

I am not sure, but what i've been told is that all the frames were the same between the F250 and F350, only difference was the length depending on the wheelbase, but I could be wrong.

Your safety inspection involves ball joint checks??? :eek: If they did that in california half the cars on the road out here would be eliminated (including mine) LOL

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
THe one I got was priced at a grand too, whish is about the going rate. I got a deal where I could work off the grand fixing cars, trucks and stripping parts trucks! No better deal than that! Job expirence, training (lol) and an axle in return.

It's crazy up here to get road checked. They pull your back drums, check the thicknes of the shoes, the front pads, all lights MUST be working, horn must work, no cracks in the glass, good ball joints, tie rods, springs, bushings, shocks, exhaust, good muffler, and LOTS of other things.

If one thing is bad, rejection sticker!!!

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Wow! :eek:

I remember the first time I took my '81 el camino in for a smog test and the guy looked at me like "no way this thing is going to pass"

Got to talking to him, turns out the guy was good friends with my grandpa... Before you knew it he had drove his wife's toyota corolla into the bay and !****! the el camino was smogged and good for two years!!!

If I had to have that thing inspected, they woulda confiscated it and cut it up for scrap!!! LOL

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
That's what I am worried about...the truck not passing. The thing is solid, and runs like a top. I don't wanna give it up, it gets AWSOME milage.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy Crap!!! I have never even heard of those kind of tests!! All I need is an engine that runs with a decent driveline and I can pass inspection!!!!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I register it as an F350 next time my tags expire?

The numbers on the truck and title indicate it's a f250, I would keep it that way. Now if you want to pay more money for your tags and up the GVW on your registration, then have at it.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nova Scotia titles pretty much everything at 14000kg(that is 30,000 LBS,) even my old 82 F100 is titled for that, what it's actually plated for is a different story.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
You might not have to shim your driveshaft, I forgot mine was 2wd and no lift blocks at all when I started...LOL.....Goofy has earned his axle working this off, not many hours left in our deal now....I like to stay busy with projects and stripping trucks so between Goofy and myself there is alway's someone here to finish it.:D....We are on a junkyard run tommorow to pull the 60 out of the F350 sitting in my backyard...We will post some pics of the carnage so ya'll from the south can see how we do it east coast Canuck style in the snow.:rotflmao....Torches, hammer, side cutters, screw driver and a bobcat is all we need.:sly