Dana 50 out....Dand 60 in.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D50 joints are actually 44HD stuff, 60 stuff is much bigger.
You must be registered for see images

That's a 60 axle in the foreground, 44 in the background, and a cap from a 50 joint in my hand.
Precision part number for the D50 joint is 231, D60 is 374 if memory serves

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
wow thats a litle expensive for an axle joint jeeze, does it come with a kiss or a reach around

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing...I was hoping it came with a mechanic to install it for that price. I was thinking $30 a piece tops.

The brake rotors are the same for the Dana 50/60, so I am covered there, I just need an axle joint and the rear U bolts.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Seems like you guys get ripped off on parts prices up there, eh?

I had a friend from Ontario who was shocked when his clutch went out on his '93 Chevy 1500 while was in college in So. California.

He said the last clutch job he had done up there in Ontario was TWICE what it cost in So. Cal.

He bought a whole 'nother clutch disc and PP just to take home with him!

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last set of D60 joints I bought from Napa was $55 a pop... You just need to be friends with the parts guy... You're getting the standard consumer price, not the jobber one.
For example, I just bought a set of E350 rear rotors for the rear discs on my big truck... Normal list of $139.99, paid $65 a piece.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
BigRigTech was out on a parts run for work when I called him. He found some Precision Axle joints for under $25 a pop. Considering this truck hardle EVER sees 4x4, I think they will do JUST nicely!

If I was building an offroading, big tired tank, then I would be looking at OX axle joints or something with a replaceable brash bushing rather than needle bearings.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is such thing as a greasable axle joint? Something like that would save a lot of wear and tear on the axle joints, reducing the times you would have to replace it.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The ones I quoted you are $23 each and they are greasable....I believe they are exactly the same as what is in my truck - mine are Precision....I plow with my beast and I haven't broken them yet so I would say you are safe....I grease my truck monthly and it pays off in tiny repair bills...Grease is cheap!

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The napa joints I put in my Dodge are greasable, you should be able to get greasable and non from most manufacturers.

I personally am not a big fan of the bushing equipped u-joints, they are designed with maximum stregnth in mind, but, they are pretty much designed for low speed useage, great for rock crawling, but that's about it.... Any high speed stuff with the hubs locked will cause severe havoc with them. And considering half of the wheeling I do is exploring bush roads, they don't work for me.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
The ones I quoted you are $23 each and they are greasable....I believe they are exactly the same as what is in my truck - mine are Precision....I plow with my beast and I haven't broken them yet so I would say you are safe....I grease my truck monthly and it pays off in tiny repair bills...Grease is cheap!

That is good to hear! I will have a grease fitting on anything that moves on the truck before this year is out! All the U joints that the PO installed will be coming out when the first one goes and all greasable ones go in. Before I install the front DS I want to wither check to see in the joints are greasable or replace all 3 with greasable ones. When this old girl goes together, I dont want to take it apart because of something not being greased! lol

I may replace both axle joints, even though one is still good and tight. That way I have 2 greasable ones in there, and a spare for that sunday night when one breaks and nothing is open lol

Do you think I should replace the wheel seals and bearings? I have one set of bearings and cups and the seals for both hubs here...well, in a tote behind the seat of the truck.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Ok, I get a BIG payday next Friday from plowing snow the past two weeks. I am going to pick up 2 new rotors, 2 new axle joints (greasable), new track bar bushings, All new longer rear U bolts, 1 front DS U joint and a strap bolt kit, some brake fluid and of course a case of beer.

I have to take a First Aid course on Saturday, But Sunday I should be able to tear into the F250 and start my D60 front end swap!

As mentioned before, I will try and take as many detailed pictures as possible to make for an easier swap for the next person.

I took the front axle (complete with rotors, track bar + bracket, drag link), front springs, front driveshaft and rear lift blocks from the 1992 F350 parts truck. I lucked out because the parts truck has the same Engine, transmission and transfer case as my truck, so the front DS and whatnot will all interchange easily.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.