Dana 44/50 TTB vs dana 60 hangers.

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
I've been looking at a truck at a heavy equipment dealer for my 4x4 donor...but unless it has the same gears as mine...its probably not going to work out (dad's not too fond of the idea of re-gearing...cookoo). The main reason for this truck was because it has everything on it I would need...tranny/t-case/D60 and all brackets/etc. I would also use the donor to mark and drill holes for the hangers and such.

If the truck doesnt happen, I have an '89 F-250 4x4 with the TTB front axle. Are the hangers, brackets, etc in the same locations as the ones off an F-350 D60? Because if they are, I could get away with just buying the parts and still use the '89 for measurements.

Is this feasible?:dunno
Thanks

On Edit: And I would like to buy a divorced np 205 if I have to piece out the swap parts...So I dont have to buy another tranny. Would I be able to use one on the '85??? Thanks

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
The problem is that #1...my truck is a C/C so the rear end wont work and #2....the donor is SRW...mine DRW, and I like the duals!

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
No...the "master plan" is to get this truck and swap front ends....put the d.60 and tranny/t-case into the '85 and turn the donor into a 2x4 lowered street machine aimed at getting higher mpgs

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
ok i am lost. A. You have a cab-n-chassis that you want to make 4x4?
B. you found a 4x4 F350 that you want to take the D60 out of
C. you want to take the D60 and put in the cab-n-chassis
D. you want to take the 4x4 f350 you took D60 out of and put 2wd parts in place of the D60.

Is that correct?

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
Yeah...I looked at the front ends of both the '85 and my '89 and they seem to have the same curves/bends and most of the same holes in the same locations (some, but we're dealing with an '80-86 frame vs an '87-91 frame, which is still extremely similar to each other). I've also done some reading and the cab and chassis frames dont become narrower until after the cab, which is why the body mounts and such are the same among C/C and non C/C.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
everything will swap between the 2 trucks. With that being said, you may have to knotch the 2wd frame to make room where the front leaf spring hanger mounts in order to have the shackle there

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
Thanks...I read 6 nebraska IDI's thread on it like 237 times already :D so I think I have a good Idea of what needs done including trimming the frame up front. I'm going back to the dealer again to check on the gear ratio cause I forgot to check the other day...those tards said they'll call back later in the afternoon....3 days ago ;Pissed. While I'm there, I'll see if they'll take dads offer on it of $1500 (asking 2K with no brakes, ether to start, and shity ass utility box with freakin TREES growin out of it!)

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
Well, I got some good news, some good news, and some bad news.....The good mews are that: 1) The truck is also a C/C and 2) the axle code is C5 which means THAT ***** HAS 4.10 LIMITED SLIP BABY!!!! WOO-HOO!!

But the bad news is that he's not budging much from $2k...But that $500 we might have saved would have went into the re-gearing if it didnt have 4.10's anyways.

So I'll see what dad says...Also, the truck is pretty rust-free for being from an '89 from Pennsylvania. little surface rust on D fender...nice clean gray under carriage and no rust on the core support...other that the battery trays. Looks OK to me

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
If this truck falls through, I'll give you a holler. But dad's going to see tomorrow if they'll fix the brakes and take $2k for it. I'll keep you guys posted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin