Current Project: 93 Factory Turbo- pics

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Well, after driving the truck down the highway I no longer think my red truck is the best running IDI in the world.LOL

I'm actually seriously conflicted. Maybe I should start a poll, but sooner or later I will likely have to sell one of these trucks. If I keep the 93 I would have to do a 12.25" clutch and straight axle to really like it.

Here's the thing. This factory turbo engine is something different. It feels like an older big cam semi truck. Just pulls super hard down at 1500, while super smooth. I don't know if it's just the injectors or what, but the bigger part of me thinks it has to do with the stronger block and bigger rods and different balancing.

Lots of variables. Mine has different exhaust, intake, IP, fuel setting, injectors, block, flywheel, clutch, frame length,,,,,,,,,,etc.

We'll see. I'm gonna pop my BBs in the red truck that have a few years on them up to 2100 psi and see what that does. If that dosen't do it I'll have to turn up the IP. cookoo Here I was perfectly happy with my truck.

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW so that is how an IDI should sound huh?
That makes mine sound like crap hahaha but mine needs new injectors/IP.

That rig sounds GREAT!!! Kudos sir!

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Thanks Maverick.

Just as sort of an interesting update. I've been messing around with the trucks to see why the seem different and it's looking like the main difference was timing.

I advanced the timing on the 93 a couple degrees and it ran and sounded like my 87. Sort of sounds like an 8Bt cummins.LOL But I noticed less spooling and less true acceleration at 1500 rpm. The engine sounds more powerful and almost feels more powerful, but I'm pretty sure with a load it would pull better with it retarded back a couple degrees.

So, I set the timing on my 87 back a couple degrees and it ran more like the 93 did before I advanced it.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But I noticed less spooling and less true acceleration at 1500 rpm. The engine sounds more powerful and almost feels more powerful, but I'm pretty sure with a load it would pull better with it retarded back a couple degrees.

So, I set the timing on my 87 back a couple degrees and it ran more like the 93 did before I advanced it.
Timing can affect the turbo and boost, either the engine will burn the fuel up more completely, or push out some fuel still burning in the pipe up to the turbo which will boost it harder

Glad to hear its working out for you. Can't listen to the vids cause' im at work but I can later tonight.

What ever happened to that brown truck?

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Uuuuuuuuuh,,,damn I wish I had time to find where the pics are of it at the scrapyard.

Was a crying shame for sure but no matter how I tried I couldn't sell it whole or in parts. Still have the front clip but I think you were interested the bed maybe?

Anyway, keep in touch. I'm having to move from the house here soon so what I can't sell (need money) will likely get donated to members who want to donate the equivalent scrap price.

Yep, the big D. I guess I spent too much time working on these trucks.:rotflmao

It's like a T-shirt I have of an old man that says. "My wife says if I go fishing one more time she's going to leave me,,,,,,damn,,,,,I'm going to miss her" :D

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me know what you got, i need a bed for the inner mostly, a zf5, mostly. Other parts too maybe.

Too bad on brown. Hows red doing? How far are you moving?

Im about ready to take the engine in for machining, when its done it should put out some solid power. Going to have to find a better turbo, this old sidewinder non wg tops out at 7 or 8 psi unloaded.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Red is perfect. Starts up every time. Pulled the 32ft fifth wheel great. Looking like I'll be up in Washington with the fifth wheel and then trying to figure out something here in town near my kids for later. You would never believe the stuff I've been hit with starting about last August I guess.

My three year old son says he likes the 93 better so i don't know. It has 3.55 gears with the factory turbo engine and a 5 speed also so there is some possibility I'll sell red instead of the 93 believe it or not. Hard to decide, but I sure like the 3:55 gears and 35 inch tires on the 93.

Just came on to try and find the part number for the fuel filter with no bottom housing at Napa. Still can't get a good cold start out of the 93. Smoking white like crazy and the brand new GPs cycle perfect so you know. Also, Russ was nice enough to drop by his spare return line kit he had in his truck for a while but I think a few of the caps must have been warped or something from something sitting on top of them maybe or sunlight? I don't know. I pulled them out of the new package myself.:dunno Once it starts it just purrs right away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online