cummins turbo??

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys... im thinking about doing a cummins swap in my 85 crew cab. im thinking about the 95 cummins with p-pump. I am thinking the 95 because they had a heavier casting block i believe. i could be wrong but i thought in 95 or 96 they had a heavier casting in the block. Anyways, i want some more power... more than the 185 or 215 that they normally have. i would like to get maybe 300 or a little more to the wheel if i could. What turbo would you guys suggest. I cant spend a ton right now, but could i use the original turbo or would i need to get an aftermarket one? Thanks in advance

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
at 300 hp you can run the stock turbo. Just put a "boost control elbow" on it. which is nothing but a pop off valve that you set to around 25 psi. What it does is it goes in line with the wastegate line to hold off the action of the wastegate until you hit 25psi then it allows the wastegate to see the pressure. I wouldn't recommend much more than 20-25psi on a stock turbo because anything higher and you end up with too high egt's and can't get them back under control once they get up there unless you back off the go pedal.

Put in a #10 or better fuel plate, AFC spring kit, Govnr spring kit (3K), 191 delivery valves and some bigger injectors and she will surprise you everytime you press on the skinny pedal. Oh also open up the exhaust by loosing the muffler and cat - I would recommend keeping the resonator because of the drone you will get at around 1700 rpm without it (which should be around highway speeds 60mph).

Also do the KDP (Killer Dowel Pin) if it hasn't been done yet.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what year of 12 valve would you use? and how much should those upgrades cost total? Should the turbo whistle be pretty loud? I want a pretty noticable turbo whistle :)

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
if you want to hear the turbo then take out the siliencer ring. It's mounted on the air intake just before the compressor wheels with a internal snap ring - the type without the eye hoops so you will have to dig it out with flat blade screwdrivers and the like. The silencer ring looks like a shiney dish if you will, it's only purpose in life is to silence the turbo whistle - removing it does nothing for performance it only gives the truck a whistle. I had mine removed for a long long time.

Fuel plate - FREE - take your stock one out and grind it to match one of those listed in the sticky section. Bench grinder works fine. Myself I would grind it flat from top to bottom and enjoy.

Governor Spring Kit 3K rpm - $125

AFC spring kit - $35

Boost Control Elbow - $25

Delivery Valves - $282

Injectors 370 marine injectors - $420

Oh and also set your timing to 16.2 degrees as this will help with keeping egt's under control and gives her a little more oomph.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
oh got these prices off TST's website. That was where all my stuff for the nanny goat came from.

http://www.tstproducts.com/browseproducts/370-Marine-Injectors.html

Oh also don't forget to make sure the tranny can hold this beast when you get done because the set up I gave you is what I had and trust me she could be a lot of fun sitting at the stop light with a mustang in the side line.......

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think im gonna try to keep a zf-5 in the truck... bad idea?? and how many horse should i get with these mods?
thanks a lot for the help already :)

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
zf5 will work, need adaptor from fordcummins.com or destroked.com.

these questions about hp on cummins have been asked a gazillion times, type 300hp 12 valve on google and you'll find out how to get there.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
don't know.... one way to find out how my ponies you are getting... do the mods and strap it to a dyno.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Nate, how bout you get my truck first lol. Give me $300 and an afternoon with it once the Cummins is in, and you'll have plenty of power. Get a 96-97 engine from a 5 speed truck, factory 215 rated. That's what my old 700 HP puller started as.

MMeier

Reaction score
what year of 12 valve would you use? and how much should those upgrades cost total? Should the turbo whistle be pretty loud? I want a pretty noticable turbo whistle :)

Check out BD's Super B turbo, have one on my '93 sounds fantastic ! Apparently, judging from the stares of fellow motorists, they must like it too !! Hell, 300 HP ? if you can get 450 at the wheels without trying, #10 plate, couple timing adjustments, 90-100 horse sticks, good to go !

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about a 91-93 cummins now. I know they will be cheaper and until i have the money to really build up my truck, i dont really need 500 horse. All i would like is to spin some tires and keep up with some stock newer trucks :)

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
1st gens are a lot tougher to get as much performance out of as 2nd gens. and people like to throw around big numbers but when these trucks are dynod they arnt near what they claim. just cause an intake u put on guarantees 10% performance increase doesn't mean you can add 10% to your hp. getting a 1st gen to 300 hp takes some work. getting a 2nd gen there isnt as much work, but past that its gonna take some upgrades.

1st gens are cheaper though and im sure youd be happy with the performance of either one

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance