Cummins to ZF

wishi'sfishin

Reaction score
Well I have had my 1st gen Cummins in my 91 Ford for about a year now and and sick of the auto transmission (I have always preferred manuals but worked with what I had). I have been looking for a NV4500 for awhile but they aren't easy to find around me and when I do they want an arm and leg for them. But I can find a ZF cheap enough that it makes up the difference for adapter plates. My question is how much abuse will they take? I plan to keep my truck in the 300 hp range but it will be used to pull trailers and will find its way in the mud pit and two tracks regularly. Will it hold up to that?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Maybe a little late but I would (actually I am) look for a medium duty transmission like a FSO640 or a FSO840 or maybe even a G56 from a newer dodge. For the power You are running the zf will be the weak link and the gears on a nv4500 are not spaced properly in My opinion. Better spend Your money right the first time.
Also since You already have a e4od why not send it to some of the shops mentioned on the IDI forum, I think ICANFIXALL has one built by a Brian something shop and they are supposed to hold to big torque and HP numbers. You'll spend less than converting it to a manual in My opinion and have a known Good tranny.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like ^^^he^^^ said, if you are already up against a complete transmision conversion, don't waste your money on any of the ZFs or NVs.

I lost confidence in the ZFs way back when these trucks were new and I have seen nothing but costly trouble out of the NVs.

Your time and money is far better spent on a medium-duty Eaton/Fuller 6-, 7-, or better yet 9-speed that can handle anything you put it to.

Find the transmission you want still in the truck, BEHIND a 6BT, and be sure to get the SAE adapter, bell-housing, flywheel, entire clutch system, starter, everything; even the drive-shaft, as you will need that first yoke.
;Sweet

wishi'sfishin

Reaction score
Thanks for the info I am still researching all my options I am ready to be done screwing with transmissions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle