Cummins swap questions

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have a few questions for those of you with Cummins 12V's in your Fords. This is for my 92 F350 C&C 4x4 dump truck. I'm stripping the 92 D350 donor truck right now.

1: exhaust manifold - leave it as Dodge installed it or flip it over to point the turbo up? I also have a commerical 5 ton manifold that mounts the turbo close to the block under the manifold.

2: What are you using for a starter and trans adapter plate? I plan to make my own.

3: What are you using for Fan shrouds and rads? I have a 460 rad and shroud here along with a new Allstar racing rad, all aluminum and big flow numbers.

4: What are you using for engine mounts?

5: What did you use for a throttle linkage and alternator? I would like to adapter my Taurus 3G alternator to fit so I can use my existing wiring.

6: I have a ZF 5spd, how far back did you have to move your trans back and what did you use for a throw out bearing?

7: What did you use for power steering hoses?

I plan to do the KDP mod and tinker with the VE pump....I'm using the stock Dodge I/C if it pass's my pressure test. I may gear up a 4" exhaust as well.

Feed Bunk

Cow hand
Reaction score
Ill try to help you out some.

1.The manifold you use kind of depends what motor mounts you use. Some mounts put your turbo closer to the ac box than others. On mine I used the dodge manifold and flipped it over which required a spacer plate. If I were you I'd try the commercial manifold first because Ive heard those work pretty good.

2. I bought a used ford cummins adapter plate for a zf-5, it uses a starter of a dodge, Destroked adapter plates use a 6.0 powerstroke starter. The powerstroke starter is smaller and easier to mount if you make your own plate

3 I used electric fans Im not sure on shrouds

4 I had a place in desmoines make my engine mounts the built them off of 7.3 mounts with diffrent plates to bolt the cummins too, Auto world mounts are good I'd shy away from fordcummins

5 I used my idi throttle linkage and took the peice off my idi that the throttle and cruise control hooked into and cut it down and welded it to the plate on my injection pump the slot on the end of the throttle linkage popped right on the cummins end

6 I slid mine back about 2 in which required changing holes in the floor board for the shifters. I got my clutch complete from valair wich i belive used the ford throughout bearing I would call valair or southbend to verify because clucthes change with plates im told

7i had my hose shop crimp compression fittings on the dodge hoses and hooked them to the ford metal hoses that go into the steering box
hope that helps

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I was going to make my own mounts too, I have the stock dodge mounts here but I never thought about making plates to fit the idi mounts...Might be worth a look....I had to slightly grind on the 460 ZF to fit the idi starter in place, how much grinding does the Dodge starter take to fit the ford trans? Maybe I have already ground it enough? Electric fans are ok, I would like to see the stock fan fit though if I could to save a few bucks. If I can reuse the idi throttle cable that would be great as it was brand new a year ago when I put the 6.9 in....I also have several lengths here in Ford throttle cables, I save them as I junk trucks as they come in handy some times in a build and I have the dodge cable too. I have a stock 92 Dodge flywheel and clutch as well as a 96 Dodge flywheel and clutch here, both are like new so I figured on using the 96 stuff....The 96 clutch looks like it was replaced shortly before buddy starting building a pull truck out of it. As far as the engine position, it is what it is I guess and that's easy enough to deal with. I have several front drive shafts here of various lengths so making something fit shouldn't be a big deal. We have a good driveshaft shop here in town too. The hoses are no big deal, nothing a trip to see Dustin at Strictly Hydraulics won't fix.;Sweet I have a spare diesel 2wd ZF here so I can make my adapter ahead of time....If for some reason I can't get it right I will break down and buy one.

Feed Bunk

Cow hand
Reaction score
You shouldnt have a problem making the adapter plate. If I remeber right on my clutch it was a dodge flywheel, ford clutch and throughout bearing. Dont hold me to it though at the time I was eager to get it in, and wasnt concerned with the details. As far as the starter goes I didnt have to grind hardly at all, but because I used a dual disc clutch I had to use and aluminum spacer plate between the starter and the adapter plate.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I was hoping not to have to shell out for a clutch when I have 2 dodge clutches here, a new 11" clutch in the truck now and a slightly used 460 clutch sitting in my shed. Maybe taking a look at the adapter plate with a dodge starter would be worth the time, I have 2 dodge starters here and one is a reman. I think I will use MDF for mock up as it can be routered very easily for depth and thickness so if I make a mistake I can easily glue a new piece on and keep going....My cousin has a woodworking business so I have access to all the planers and routers I would need.....Just and idea, cheaper than wasting expensive steel....LOL...Got any pics of your plate, swap or starting mounting?:sly:D

FordGuy100

Reaction score
If you make an adapter plate, make me one too!!!! ;Sweet

Here is mine:
You must be registered for see images attach

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
You guys and your rust free stuff....Here is mine.

And the other one.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Holy rust batman! Looks like all the valve cover gaskets were leakin so the engine has enough oil/grime on it to keep from rusting LOL

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
It looks worse than it is, the engine is actually pretty dry other than the rotten oil pan....I'm going to clean and paint it before it goes in.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
hey i have some questions as well if i have a complete donor 91 dodge runs and drives to put that in my 93 f350 with a zf5 i should only need
1. motor mounts
2.trans adapter plate
3. a clutch and flywheel setup which i am unclear on what to use

i will make my own motor mounts im not sure if i have the means to make an adapter plate

please enlighten me on anything else needed and if you know how much this stuff is and where to get it thanks

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Driveshafts need to be shortened/lengthened (lengthened if 4x4).

Other than that you have the basics.

Feed Bunk

Cow hand
Reaction score
You'll need to make a downpipe setup of somesort, plus If you use the dodge alternator and ac compressor youll have to change some wiiring if I recall.