Cummins into 1996 E-SuperDuty Bus

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on figuring out your gauge issue. ;Sweet

No leaks at all from the engine and no oil from the vent tube on the drivers side. My oil drip is showing up at the exhaust downpipe V-band clamp on the turbo. After idling an hour or so there are 2 or 3 drops on the driveway. Turbo is a used HE351 I bought. Don't really know any history about it.

Idling for an hour is longer than I have ever let my F250 sit running for.

Since the oil is leaking from your v-band and the HE351 you are running was used, I think it's a fair guess that maybe the thrust bearings are worn. How much shaft play does the turbo have when cold?

dbshelton

Reaction score
I will probably pull the turbo off and have it gone through this week.
All I have left are a few details to finish up. I installed the rest of the Autometer gauges today. Oil pressure, water temp, voltmeter, trans temp, pyrometer, and boost gauges. That along with the stock gauges should be plenty.
On a bright note, I did get to drive the bus down the driveway and back a couple of times today. The 5R110 won't shift until I get the tune this week. Hopefully all will go well.

dbshelton

Reaction score
For some reason, the turbo quit leaking oil. Maybe sitting on the shelf it had some trash in the seals that had to work out after a couple of heat cycles??? Beats me.
I really like the way this thing runs. The transmission tuning has been going well. After several different tunes, it really shifts good. Everything works so far but I haven't hooked up the tach or the cruise control yet.

dbshelton

Reaction score
Got everything working well except for the speed control. When I engage it, it seems to hold, but loses speed very slowly until it kicks out at about 40mph. The accel and coast buttons are not working. Everything worked fine before the swap. I changed the speed sensor in the rear end to a new one, but that didn't help. Anyone know where to start looking?

dbshelton

Reaction score
I finally figured out the speed control problem. Too much throttle return spring pressure for the servo to overcome. Between the spring in the APPS on the pedal, the spring built in to the Ford cable, the spring on the throttle pivot on the engine, the little springs hooked to the timing cover, and the spring on the injector pump itself, the throttle was too darn stiff. I removed the pivot spring and the little springs to the timing cover and the feel was MUCH better!. The speed control engages and works just like it is supposed to!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally figured out the speed control problem. Too much throttle return spring pressure for the servo to overcome. Between the spring in the APPS on the pedal, the spring built in to the Ford cable, the spring on the throttle pivot on the engine, the little springs hooked to the timing cover, and the spring on the injector pump itself, the throttle was too darn stiff. I removed the pivot spring and the little springs to the timing cover and the feel was MUCH better!. The speed control engages and works just like it is supposed to!
Thank you for the update! That's very good to know...that info may come in handy...

dbshelton

Reaction score
This has become one of my favorite projects. I probably would have been better off swapping in a 7.3 diesel, but I don't think I would like the results as much as I do with the current setup. This bus rocks!!!

dbshelton

Reaction score
Now I have about 3,000 miles on my conversion. I really like the results. The 5R110 transmission works great, good cold A/C, engine power is decent, bus now gets about 13-14 mpg (up from 7-8). Some day I may turn the pump up a little more but its good for now. I installed a coolant filter and in a couple of hundred miles, it cleaned up the water.

dbshelton

Reaction score
Also been doing some paintwork. So far I have painted all of the bus body. Still have the front to do, but decided to wait a while.

Attachments

• IMG_20160418_170946.jpg
    IMG_20160418_170946.jpg
    567.5 KB · Views: 51

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good! ;Sweet

Are you using this bus for a commercial operation, or is the bus for private use? What does the inside look like?

dbshelton

Reaction score
I have transformed it into a Cobra hauler.

Attachments

• IMG_20140324_174612.jpg
    IMG_20140324_174612.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20140301_111318-ERASER.jpg
    IMG_20140301_111318-ERASER.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 22

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
ok, I see, two seats in the front, and sometimes two in the back! LOL
Cool idea!