Cummins 555 and 903

OkieTruckerD

A Diesel Nut
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information pertaining to these engines? I'd like to know fuel system, bore and stroke, weight, length, height, method of aspiration, durability. There's a truck here in Oklahoma that is powered by a VT903 Cummins, and the engine is backed by a 6x4 twin stick. If the engine proves to be a durable one, I might want to make this my first Class 8 truck to learn on.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I know that the 555 was nicknamed the "triple nickle".

The 903 V8, well, from what I've heard, it produced about 300 HP- basically the same as the old NTC 290/300's. Some say it's worthless, but it was run by lots of freight companies. Fuel economy is suppose to be worse then the inline engines.

I saw a V 903 in a 1976 IH Transtar that had a 13 speed. I would guess that the transmission setup you are talking about would allow the engine to stay in the 'sweet' spot. This perticular engine was a natural aspirated, no turbo. A VT would be a turbo-ed version of this engine.

What do you plan on doing w/ this truck? When you say learn on, most 'modern' Class 8 trucks have 10, 13, 15, 18 speed trannies. Most, if not all, do not have the 'brownie box' anymore. In my humble opinion, depending on your funds, find a truck with an inline six and a ten or nine speed tranny. If you plan to use it for hauling (business), from what I hear, most companies that will insure your truck for long haul require a certain age range (unless it's refer trailers I'm thinking of).

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information pertaining to these engines? I'd like to know fuel system, bore and stroke, weight, length, height, method of aspiration, durability. There's a truck here in Oklahoma that is powered by a VT903 Cummins, and the engine is backed by a 6x4 twin stick. If the engine proves to be a durable one, I might want to make this my first Class 8 truck to learn on.
your money is better spent elsewhere. the V8 cummins is not very reliable and difficult to get parts for.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
V8 Cummins is definatly not the way to go. The 6 on 4 is another thing that you do not want to start out on and drive every day. That will take any enjoyment out of truck driving REAL fast. If you look around a little bit you will find a good truck. Best of luck
Ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online