cruise control

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
ok i checked over everything i can think of, but my cruise doesnt work, i checked my connections fuses vacum lines and what not but it still doesnt work, where do i start to try and figuree it out?

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
What year truck? There are a couple versions of cruise that are very different.

By the way. I have the same problem in my '91 so I'll be watching.

Tom

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I would start with anything related to brakes---- tail lights, pig tail adaptors for trailers, trailer plug receiver, the 2 wire switch on the master cyl, third brake light on cab [if equipped] etc....

use the KISS principle :D---- Braking dis-engages the cruise ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is a vacuum controlled cruise (83-91?), there is a good troubleshooting proceedure in the service manual. Basically you can pull the plug off the brain box, and manually short some pins together to check out the servo portion. You'll need to dig it up somewhere. If you don't have a vacuum gauge installed on your dash, then get one. It is key to troubleshooting vacuum cruise control issues.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I would start with anything related to brakes---- tail lights, pig tail adaptors for trailers, trailer plug receiver, the 2 wire switch on the master cyl, third brake light on cab [if equipped] etc....

use the KISS principle :D---- Braking dis-engages the cruise ;Sweet
would side markers be included?

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
mine on my 89 doesnt work either. irritates me a good bit. is there a CRUISE light on the dash when you hit the ON button on the steering wheel? if so mine wont even power on. im watching this too.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not know the year of your truck but my 1990 f-250 stopped working when I accidentally disconnected the clutch switch. Mine does double duty as the Cruise shut off and starter safety switch.

Mine is located under the dash, to the right of the steering column.

Joe Mc

Reaction score
I had one old Ford that if you honked the horn while pressing the on switch it would turn-on the cruise.

These older cruise system don't like LED taillights. I don' like them myself, but I live where it snows.